PDA

View Full Version : Quick Technical Bolt Head ?

sbarcewski
12-06-2016, 03:00 AM
I am building up and old LA that was 7mm Mag and converting to .243Win. My question is regarding the bolt head. I know I need to replace the 7mm head (.532") to a .308/.243 head (.473"), but in my research I am only finding the .308 head labeled as a SA. Is this a generic description because that caliber is usually offered as a short action and if I purchase it will it work on my long action bolt? If it won't work with the long action, a .30-'06 head should, right? And if I order through PTG (standard bolt face), do I need to get the bolt alignment cut seeing it is a flat back action?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

short round
12-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Click on Gun Shack add, should clear things up, 30-06 will work. Alignment cut is not needed, simply grind hump inside of bolt body down. No great advantage using PTG.

Zero333
12-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Yeah, the short action bolt head is what you want.

Robinhood
12-06-2016, 07:36 AM
To clarify sbacewski's statement, a 30-06 bolt will work with modifications.

wbm
12-06-2016, 10:40 AM
a .30-'06 head should, right?

First off check out what short round said about the alignment cut.

I also have a Savage flat back long action that came in 7mm magnum. I have always just switched the bolt head with a standard 30-06. Have used this action as a 7mm magnum, 6.5x55, and 308 or 243 single shot. Never have had modify anything just switch bolt heads. Right now it is set up as a 6.5 Creedmoor single shot....head space is correct, feeding and extraction/ejection are flawless. How old is your action....what is the prefix letter on the serial number?

rosewood
12-07-2016, 03:53 PM

Dang, I am really confused now, I thought a short action bolt head wouldn't work on a long action? Don't you have to have a long action bolt head? I recently swapped a 30-06 to a .260 and didnt' have to change anything but the barrel.

Thanks,

Rosewood

geargrinder
12-07-2016, 09:09 PM

NO!

You need the long action. The 30-06 bolt head is the one you want.

There's only two thing that may give you problems.

As noted, there may be an alignment dimple in the bolt body and not a corresponding slot in the bolt head. Simply dremel the dimple out of the bolt body.

The other is the firing pin diameter. The older firing pins were thicker and will not fit into a small diameter firing pin bolt head. You can either drill out the bolt head for the larger firing pin, or replace the firing pin and bolt head retaining pin. I'd recommend replacing the firing pin and retaining pin. It's fairly cheap, and the smaller diameter hole in the retaining pin makes it a little more robust. Also, once you swap to the small diameter firing pin you don't have to worry about the compatibility anymore.

J.Baker
12-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Geargrinder is correct

Long Action bolt heads are specific to long action bolts (1/2" lug thickness)
Short action bolt heads are specific to short action bolts (7/16" lug thickness)

sbarcewski
12-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Thank You all will go with the LA .30-06 head, do a little dremel work, and replace the internals.

sbarcewski
12-09-2016, 12:13 AM
WBM,
The prefix is "G"