PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire 340 22 Hornet

fjames
12-05-2016, 09:53 PM
I have recently acquired a 22 hornet that has been in my family for awhile. It is heavily used and the bore is very worn out. Where can I get an aftermarket barrel made that will fit a 340?

Thanks in advance

Ol Deuce
12-06-2016, 02:34 AM
I have recently acquired a 22 hornet that has been in my family for awhile. It is heavily used and the bore is very worn out. Where can I get an aftermarket barrel made that will fit a 340?

Thanks in advance

You could get your barrel relined.......it's a common practice with the 22 shooters ! the price isn't bad and you retain the OE barrel for the match to your rifle!!! Ol Deuce

Big Al1
12-06-2016, 09:02 AM
OD beat me to it on the reline!! I've had several done by this guy http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/index.html
Does an excellent job and boy do those rifles shoot great now.
Before that, make sure the bore has been well cleaned, and check your muzzle crown to see If it dinged up. If that's not the problem, send it out!

Ol Deuce
12-07-2016, 06:35 PM
OD beat me to it on the reline!! I've had several done by this guy http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/index.html
Does an excellent job and boy do those rifles shoot great now.
Before that, make sure the bore has been well cleaned, and check your muzzle crown to see If it dinged up. If that's not the problem, send it out!

;) ..........................I'm doing this right as we type LoL Ol Deuce

Gene L
12-08-2016, 09:28 PM
If you have sentimental reasons for improving the barrel, great, but I've bought two with great barrels for less than $250. Both had scope mounts included. I don't know what a reline costs where you are, but they're not expensive rifles.

The Old Coach
12-09-2016, 04:20 AM
Relining is iffy for a high pressure cartridge like the Hornet, IMHO. It'll be easier and cheaper to get a new barrel made. One of the barrel vendors who advertise here can do it for you. It's not rocket science for them, with their fancy CNC lathes. As has already been said, a 340 does not have any great collector value, so not having the original barrel on it is no big thing. Rather than buy a new blank, I've more than once used a takeoff that I found at a gun show. Shorten to eliminate the old chamber and throat, profile, thread and chamber. All one needs is a decent lathe.