PDA

View Full Version : Improving the Lee collet die

chetc
12-04-2016, 11:05 PM
this mod will reduce a loaded round with less run out when using a dial indicator set up to check the runout, i modded the lee collet die and reduced the runout at least .002, i was getting runout on the average of approx .003 to .005, what is needed first if you have access to a small lathe, when you need to do i make a bushing and insert it in the bottom of the collet part, if you take a pc of fired brass ( i have the 6.5 CM) and insert it in the collet holding the die in your hand. the hole is going to be around .550 and if you measure the brass it will around .467 if you see there is alot of slop, what you need to do is make a brass insert about 1/4" long and make the od of the brass insert .001 larger then the hole in the collet and the bore of the brass insert .472 this will leave a little clearance, take to die apart and tap the insert in the bottom of the collet till it's flush, reassemble and you will see a truer loaded round and the groups will prove it. i will post a pic tomorrow, but hope i explained it clear.

note this mod will show a better product especially if you have a little slop in your press, or if your main ram is not lined up perfect with the top section of your press

Chet2368

squirrel_slayer
12-10-2016, 12:54 AM
cool mod. might have to go scroung up some brass or copper and give it a try. did you pull the collet out of the die body and chuck it into the lathe or measured it all out and got the tolerances right on the first try?

chetc
12-10-2016, 10:17 AM
hi Squirrel slayer

either way, i have done 2 more yesterday, measured up the ID of the collets which so far of the ones i have done the OD of the bushing is right at .5325 give or take .0005 and the ID of the bushing I normally make about .004 clearance. i have done a few now for guys at the range and it is an nice improvement

Chet