PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade old savage 110 vs buy an Axis II

Pages : 1 [2]

redman
12-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Anyway, about the 10t.... haha

J.Baker
12-06-2016, 12:51 PM
You CAN NOT upgrade to a newer style bolt head without replacing the entire bolt assembly. The reason why is because the cross pin that holds the bolt head to the bolt body is different. On the newer style the cross pin is vertical (perpendicular to the lugs), while on the early guns it's horizontal (parallel to the lugs).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison2.jpg

toddcdozer
12-06-2016, 01:36 PM
A new bolt isn't a million dollars. Might as well pick up a nice one anyway. I have an extra Savage bolt laying around at all times. NEVER KNOW when I might need one.

madmanmarz
12-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Anyway, about the 10t.... haha
lolol

You CAN NOT upgrade to a newer style bolt head without replacing the entire bolt assembly. The reason why is because the cross pin that holds the bolt head to the bolt body is different. On the newer style the cross pin is vertical (perpendicular to the lugs), while on the early guns it's horizontal (parallel to the lugs).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/FAQs/BoltComparison2.jpg

true dat. thanks

A new bolt isn't a million dollars. Might as well pick up a nice one anyway. I have an extra Savage bolt laying around at all times. NEVER KNOW when I might need one.

i mean i guess i could still do it but all that would be left over from the original gun would be the action/trigger itself...assuming it would even work in a modern chassis. i think my best bet is to fix the gun and build up something else in 6.5

J.Baker
12-07-2016, 01:23 PM
You'll find that if you mount that action in a modern stock the original trigger will only stick through the bottom about 1/2". The older trigger groups were shorter in overall height than the newer (1966 and up) triggers. As such you would have to update to an aftermarket trigger if you change to a newer stock.

This is why we generally recommend everyone just leave the pre-1966 guns alone and find something else to build from. Everything available from the aftermarket is designed for the newer stuff so the only thing useful for a build from the pre-66's is the bare action itself. Better to leave the old ones alone and just go buy a Trophy Hunter or Axis to build off of.

Cloudrepair
12-10-2016, 11:19 AM
I got a old 243 savage that has the old style bolt head and wanted to do the same thing.
I already had a bolt head to swap out so I started looking at things closer and found that the old bolt head has the retaining pin going though in different direction.
So I used a long action bolt body to modify the length to the old body length and timed the pin to the new bolt heads. Then firing pin needs altered and and magazine ejector removed. The firing pin had to be shortened and turned down part of length. It can be done.
probably best for a gunsmith to do it. . I didn't change the stock just the bolt so I can swap out barrels with other savages.