PDA

View Full Version : What Next ?

chutesnreloads
09-24-2009, 11:13 PM
First let me say I'm not bashing Savage.Have four of them that I'm very pleased with.Now there's this one that I can't consitently get a satisfactory group from.Here's the history .This takes place over a period of years when the rifle was put on the backburner the brought back out.Bought a brand new 110 package deal in .243.This was a few years before the accutrigger.After a few different factory loads and a lot of handloads it would never consistently shoot under 2" a t 100 yards.Usually 2 1/2" to 3" was the best it would do. Installed a Rifle Basix trigger....no change.Changed barrel to adams&bennet 7mm-08.Different factory and handloads still shooting about the same as old barrel.Bedded around recoil lug...no change.Read somewhere else that a pillar bedded action should only touch the pillars and not the stock.Worked stock down so only touching at pillars and recoil lug.....no change.Tore out old bedding and and rebedded from the front action screw to front of chamber.....Got a group under 2".Now during all this time I would sometimes get 3 and even 4 shots into a VERY nice group(holes touching or nearly so) then get a wild flier.So,next time out took that load and another that had shown promise plus a couple new loads to try.The 2 promising loads both gave groups just under 2".OK onto something,right?Loaded a box with the load that had given 2 groups under2" and went back to zero scope for this load.Fired a couple fouling shots then first 2 shots nearly touching and third shot 4" from first shot then fourth shot nearly touching third and fifth back into the group with the first two.This is what I've been dealing with for a few years.I can live with 2"100 yard groups(not pleased with 2" but that's the minimum acceptability)Tried two different scopes on both barrels that both work just fine on other rifles.It kills hogs just fine but rarely are shots more than 50 yards.I do hunt spots where much longer shots are possible.It's been a beater,loaner ,truck gun but I want more.What next?More bedding?Scrap the stock and get a new one?Get rid of it?What next?

Dadams
09-24-2009, 11:44 PM
try a different scope

358Hammer
09-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Lets presume you are a one hole shooter as it appears that you are from your nightmare.

Then lets presume that you have installed the barrel nut with a good snug fit and haven't over tightened the nut. Now tighten the front action screw at 30 inch pounds. Then go to the back action screw and snug it.
Continue tightening it 5 inch pounds at a time, fire three shots,let it cool and fire another three until you get the desired group. Caution: tangs on Savages are customarily floated. If it is not floating and you are cinching that rear screw down may be causing your action to bend.

Are you getting copper fouling in the barrels? Is the wayward shot always going to the same spot? Do you reload? If so- a long case will cause your problem every time.

There are so many variables: Personally a typical Savage barrel is better than a Adams and Bennett barrel. You may have one or two ringers for barrels.

Neal

dcloco
09-25-2009, 12:22 AM
What is the measured runout of a loaded round???

chutesnreloads
09-25-2009, 07:28 PM
#1 Have tried Two scopes rings and mounts that work fine on other rifles.Barrel nut is snug...overtight...don't know,maybe.....same problem now as when factory origional.....of course there's copper fouling but no worse than my other rifles.....there's nothing wrong with my handloads,,,factory loads perform the same...Is the tension on the action screws that critical?Havn't had this problem with my other Savages.If so now I have an excuse to buy a torque screwdriver.

358Hammer
09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I can literally change my groups and my P oint Of I mpact by loosening and tightening screws.

Again, the tang not floated or a tight chamber where some of the brass is tight against the chamber neck will cause the problems indicated.

Neal

psmorgan
Basic User

Re: after a day at the 200yd range, what .223 groups would make the day a success
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:42:30 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My .223 LRPV, 1-7" twist shot the 90 gr bergers right at 1" at 340 yards. Thats with 22.0 grains of IMR 4895 with the bullet jammed into the rifling. That was a three shot group, and there was no wind.

BTW, my gun did the two group thing like I've heard several other people have complained about on here and other sites. Then, I noticed that when I set the trigger like I wanted it (light), it would not set when I put the stock back on. I figured that the action was getting torqued a little then when I put the stock back on. I followed someones advice and dremmeled out the stock under the tang and the 2 groups became 1.

chutesnreloads
09-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the replies 358.The tang is floated so it's not that and the brass is sizied and trimmed proper.Guess I'll go get a torque screwdriver(been wanting one for awhile anyway)and report back with the results.