PDA

View Full Version : Where to get barrel threaded?

CMOS
08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi all. This is (obviously) my first post here. In January, I got a Savage 10 FCP on a McMillan stock. So far, it's been great. I'm shooting it on a Harris BRM-S, NF 5.5-22x56 on the NF 20MOA one-piece base.

Anyway, I'm looking to have the barrel threaded so I can run a suppressor, such as the AAC Cyclone. To get the threading done, I can either go with Tornado Technologies which specializes in that, or I can send it to Savage. The cost is about the same.

Does anyone have an opinion on which I should go with?

Thanks!

Eric in NC
08-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Send it to Sinman - sponsor here.

HeavyDuty
08-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Adco is another good shop to consider that has Savage barrel experience.

358Hammer
08-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Welcome Cmos and Heavy Duty.

I have always thought that someone that does quality work, close to home were two top priorities. Add a good turn around time into that equation and those people are where I lean.

geargrinder
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't know the rules, but I'd make sure that you send the suppressor with the barrel. They are much less forgiving than a brake if they suffer a bullet strike.

johnsopa
08-12-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't know the rules, but I'd make sure that you send the suppressor with the barrel. They are much less forgiving than a brake if they suffer a bullet strike.

Not legal to do this unless the recipient is an FFL Class 3.

Also, not necessary to send the suppressor. As long as the barrel is threaded concentric to the bore and the shoulder is square, you'll be fine -- unless the suppressor was threaded incorrectly (unlikely).

Once you screw the suppressor on, simply remove the bolt and look through to make sure you cannot see any portion of the suppressor when looking down the center of the bore. I do this every time I mount a suppressor before shooting at the range.

GabbyM
08-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Any competent machinist can thread a barrel. They do not need an FFL gunsmith license unless they work on a receiver. With the can or the receiver if you stay with it and do not turn it over to them they don't need a smiths license anyways. But you've fallen into a can of worms with all that. I know men who can do good work but only because I'm a machinist and I have worked with some very good men. And of course I can also but have no machines right now. Then you have to know them or they will figure you as a rat or worse. What with politics being what they are now. In short I'd try to find a gunsmith within driving distance so you don't have to trust your stuff to the mail. Especially since if you are going down the can route you don't want to think a visit to a machine shop will be your one and only time there.

rcprins
08-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Mike at Tornado Tech Would be my recommendation. He knows what it takes to thread a barrel for a suppressor.

Dick

sinman
08-14-2010, 02:15 PM
The problem with just having a std machinist thread a barrel is most dont have indicating rods and many might now know to line up off of the bore.

sharpshooter
08-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Threading barrels is still "gunsmithing" and you need an FFL regardless.

johnsopa
08-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Fred, this isn't the case if someone is simply threading a barrel and doesn't have possession of the a receiver, is it?

geargrinder
08-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Are you sure about that? I've never heard that before.

sharpshooter
08-16-2010, 01:08 AM
If you work on guns or their components for a profit you are engaged in the business of gunsmithing, whether or not the transferable item is in your possesion or not. Technically you could not even finish a stock for profit unless you have an FFL. Most of the time these little infractions go unnoticed, but I would not make it a point to publicly advertise offering those type of services without an FFL.
Good luck explaining yourself to an ATFE agent.