PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

saskaguy
12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
You can use a blued barrel nut on a stainless barrel right?

redman
12-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Yup. Usually the receiver is not stainless either. Highly recommend the new precision barrel nut and recoil lug.

RC20
12-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Yep. Frankly I like the combo look of blued with stainless barrels.

I have gone both ways and have not seen any difference in performance though I am still playing.

Once I get consistently accurate I am going to try both on that gun and see how if it responds.

Others have noted a difference, they could be better shooters than me (likely) and can see that.

I am doing pretty good (working into the 3/8 MOA area) but not nearly as consistent as I would lie.

I kept my smooth nut and keep it to protect a barrel threaded end. You can do the same with segmented if you upgrade.

rjtfroggy
12-01-2016, 05:46 PM
The only " Dumb Question" is the one not asked.

Now answers on the other hand, welllllll!

mike21
12-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I seem to recall a photo of someone's "pinto"......blue receiver, stainless recoil lug, blue nut and stainless barrel. Whatever ya got laying around?

RC20
12-02-2016, 12:23 AM
It all works.

toddcdozer
12-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Actually may be smarter to mix and match to reduce the chance of galling always present in stainless to stainless threads. I just throw together whatever I have laying around and call it good. I have run barrels on 4 or 5 different actions and vices versa. Some SS some CM. All shoot lights out.
I will post a shot of my latest PINTO later.
Decided to build it Thanksgiving day and bought a barrel from a guy, got a donor action at a pawnshop black Friday along with a scope at Cabelas. Ordered brass, bullets, stock, lug, EGW base, rings, dies, brake and stock by Tuesday. Some of it from guys on forums and the rest from EGW, Tactical works, Cabelas, Midway and Sinclair. EVERYTHING IS HERE. 7 days to build a gun s crazy fast in todays age. I was on LRH today and most guys are waiting 1 or 2 YEARS for a rig. Barrel nuts rule.