PDA

View Full Version : new model 111 barrel nut

snowgetter1
08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Great website. I have a brand new model 111 in 25-06 and I am thinking about changing the barrel to 25-06 AI. The problem is the barrel nut is smooth. It does not have the grooves like my stevens .223. I have never changed a barrel but feel I can do it. I just do not want to order a barrel only to find out I can not remove the existing one. My only idea to remove the smooth nut is a strap wrench but I have doubts if that will be able to get the job done. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

EFBell
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,22148.0.html

Seek and you shall find...

hailstone
08-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Removing the action from the stock will reveil a small hole where special wrench stud is inserted for barrel nut removal. Different sources sell the new style wrench including some advertisers on this site.

snowgetter1
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I did notice a small hole by the recoil lug. And I see the sharp shooters supply wrench. I does appear anything is possible. I am guessing the screw on the wrench will fit into the hole by the lug. Thanks for the info.

EFBell
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
No, the screw in the wrench fits older smooth nuts that have a hole for a spanner. the compression end of the wrench is what you need assuming you do not have a well defined hole in the middle of the nut.

snowgetter1
08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
You are correct EF. It is completely smooth. Now I just need to get the parts together. Is the smooth nut anymore difficult to remove than the older style. Will the wrench slip?? Can I do this with the action in a vise or use the barrel vise?
Thanks

EFBell
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Don't know. All of mine are old slotted style. Fred's products are top shelf though so I'm sure it will work fine. A little rosin on the nut and some some on the barrel blocks for your bench vice will do the trick. If you want to invest in an action wrench it cant hurt. I don't have one and I get buy with hardwood barell blocks and my good solid bench vice.

hailstone
08-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Been my experience that liberal application of Kroil to the barrel nut end, offset in recoil lug, front scope base threaded hole in receiver and threads in chamber area is a tremendous boost to removing the barrel nut. Had one that the previous owner had used LockTite on the scope base screws which ran into the barrel threads. Despite head from hot air gun nothing would budge that nut. Use the Kroil and it came right off.