PDA

View Full Version : First time out with my Savage 12FCV

M1ke
11-28-2016, 12:33 PM
I finally finished piecing together my "budget blaster," a 12FCV .223 in a Choate Tactical stock. I splurged a bit on mounts (Seekins rings and base) and the scope (Sightron SIII FFP 6x24x50). After getting everything dialed in I started shooting for groups. My best 5 shot 100 yard group of the day can be just covered up by a dime. And this is shooting out of the box Black Hills 69 grain match ammo! Most groups were under an inch. Needless to say, I'm quite impressed with this Savage! To have it shooting this well with production match ammo and only 50 rounds down the barrel has made me a believer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4s4633ejngbkhz/dimeuncoveredresized.jpg?raw=1https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxap6m6btkxhv33/dimecoveredresized.jpg?raw=1

jpx2rk
11-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Congrats, but you need to post pics of the gun too. We like pictures here. :rolleyes:

drybean
11-28-2016, 07:39 PM
It only gets better

M1ke
11-28-2016, 11:55 PM
Congrats, but you need to post pics of the gun too. We like pictures here. :rolleyes:

That's the one thing I forgot to get a pic of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero333
11-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Some people hope they can throw a handload together half ass and think it will outshoot some of the Match factory ammo.

BlackHills 223rem 69gr are extremely accurate and your rifle is a good example how even factory barrels are not that bad as long as the human pulling the trigger knows what they're doing and the rifle is fed good ammunition.

Nice shooting and looking forward to seeing the pics of your rifle.

M1ke
12-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Got a chance to snap a few quick pics of the rifle this weekend. Not the best considering the background objects but it should give you an idea. The cheek riser is just a strip of half-inch foam vet wrapped to the stock and covered with a piece of adhesive backed synthetic felt. Works perfectly and for only 5 bucks is easy on the wallet!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul6t6tcl8e1zg6y/Savageprofile.jpg?raw=1https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsia9ajb54l19wq/Savagethreequarter.jpg?raw=1

SageRat Shooter
12-05-2016, 02:41 PM
M1ke,

Tell me what you think of that Sightron SIII 6-24x50 in the FFP. That's the exact scope I'm leaning towards getting to put on my 260 rem. Have you run it through a tracking test? are you pleased with the clarity on Max power?

Help me decide between the Vortex PST or the Sightron SIII.

M1ke
12-06-2016, 11:04 AM
SageRat, I'm pretty happy with the Sightron SIII FFP. I haven't run it though a tracking test yet, but when I was sighting in the rifle, the scope was giving me what I asked for. Corrections appeared to be right on the money. The reticle is just a basic mil-hash so if you like to use holdovers for windage/elevation, you're going to be holding in unmarked glass. But if you dial, then it won't be a problem. I do really like the target dot at the center of the reticle. Basically put the dot where you want to hit and squeeze. It reminds me of shooting with an Eotech or other red-dot style electric sight. There's no lighted reticle available, but for me it wasn't a problem as this is a range gun mainly.
The glass is really good. For a sub 1k scope I think it can hang with the big dogs easily in terms of glass quality. I ran it all the way up to 24x and had no issues to speak of.
The Vortex definitely offers more features, but for a basic scope with good glass, I'm happy with the Sightron.

SageRat Shooter
12-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks M1ke!!

That's what I was hoping to hear.... When you turn up the Magnification all the way do you lose sight of any of your bottom post in the reticle? I plan to run the MOA reticle as apposed to the Mil- hash, but that would give me an idea of what is going on inside that FFP scope.

Was one of the reasons I'm not so enthused with the PST.

M1ke
12-06-2016, 01:55 PM
I didn't notice any of the reticle dropping off when at max magnification. It was REAL close, but I believe the full 5 mils were there.

SageRat Shooter
12-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks again M1ke!

Now I'm leaning even more towards the Sightron.... Happy shooting!!

M1ke
12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Good deal. I think you will like it.