PDA

View Full Version : long time shooter hunter reloader but never owned a Savage

rsalar
11-28-2016, 08:21 AM
I've been reloading and shooting handguns, shotguns, and rifles for 40 years. My current interest is long range rifle shooting. My rifles have always been Rem 700 based -- some stock, some custom, all accurized. I'm drawn to Savage because of the ability to change barrels myself. I joined this group to learn how to build an accurate long range rifle using a savage action. Looking forward to participating and learning -- Ron

drybean
11-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Welcome aboard

Mozella
11-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Sit back, relax, and enjoy. A Savage action may feel a bit rough compared with those actions costing many thousands of dollars, but they work just fine. You may not see many at the very highest levels of mid/long range precision shooting, but I suspect that's mainly because those guys are afraid of the stink-eye they might get from their fellow competitors if they showed up with a $600 action.

I shoot F/TR and 600 yd BR at the club level with two different Savage guns. Yesterday several shooters had guns costing 5 or 6 times as much as mine. Boy, do they look good and I drool just like everyone else. But I was the one shooting both smallest group AND highest score with my sub $1000 Savage/Shilen/Boyd's gun. Plus, I'm the oldest guy on the line as well, so I'm having a lot of fun. You will too.

Rick_W
11-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Welcome

big honkin jeep
11-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Welcome
Tinkering Savages is easy enough. I have found that the modern ones need very little 'building" or tinkering unless you need something they don't make like a left handed carbine.
You can buy a factory rig ready to go compete for almost any discipline in the shooting sports for much less $ than "building" one.
Yeah I know it takes some of the fun out of it.
Select the appropriate rifle then for the most part find a load it likes and start shooting bugholes.
Good luck BHJ

ttexastom
12-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Welcome board

ragsflh
12-10-2016, 10:44 AM
welcome aboard

Hotolds442
12-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Welcome!