PDA

View Full Version : 110 action truing

110fp
11-28-2016, 06:52 AM
I am looking for someone to true a 110 action and bolt.
someone that is not going to take 6 months to do it.

Also a retailer for bolt parts or whole bolts

thanks

rjtfroggy
11-28-2016, 07:37 AM
For trueing give Bob White at shooters corner a call. Gunsmith and BR shooter. www.shooterscorner.com
For parts Brownells or Numerich.

RC20
11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
You might want to think about leaving as is.

The bolt head has a bit of movement to it so it aligns with the barrel without truing.

With a button rifled barrel, I have put 4 shots into a single hole at 105 yds with mine, not bedded, wood stocks, call it amateur bench rest.

When I am shooting well, I am getting sub 1/2 MOA groups out of the two aftermarket rifles and indications that the Savage Varmint contour barrel may be 1/2 MOA as well.

I am not a bench rest class precision reloader, kind of middle of the road.

This last weekend with 15 mph wind, started out at 15 degrees (we do have heaters in the shed overhead) poor winter light, I got 8 groups of 5/8 or less at 105 yds. Last one was 3/8 in dim light. The 308 got a 1/4 inch group.

I bench rest shooter might get some benefit out of it though the hot bench rest shooters go with different setups.

Now I have the equipment, I think the only thing that stands between me and consistent 3/98 inch groups is myself and my loads and myself being the biggest factor.

Robinhood
11-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Midway sells the bolts without the ejector pin, spring and retainer pin. Gun shack may have those parts for a hand full of dollars.

I'm with you on the truing. Some people will argue shooting a small group is precision. I will call it accurate at a given range. Then scope alignment and barrel axis becomes a big deal. If you want to shoot variable distances without compensating for misalignment with windage adjustments, true action surfaces are critical, as is the scope mount hole alignment. If they weren't then the custom action/rifle makers would just copy savage. If you want precision, truing is a component in the equation.

Fred Moreo, Kevin Rayhill or Nat Lambeth are three. If you want the smoothest bolt operation its Fred.

Well known Smiths are rarely 2 week turnarounds.

SSS bolt work is superior to anyone else I have operated. The cocking ramp and sear hand off is nice.