PDA

View Full Version : AXIS II XP Hardwood?

Leroy Tyrebyter
11-28-2016, 12:27 AM
Can anyone tell me if these rifles are pillar bedded? The price for a new one seems a wash compared to buying a synthetic stock Axis and replacing with a Boyd stock?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Axis2xphardwood

TIA, LT

celltech
11-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Not really... While there appears to be some metal guides in there the trigger guard and magazine catch are typical Boyd's plastic pieces, so the action bolts are sitting on them. I will comment that the magazine catch is different from the prior Boyd's stocks I have bought. It seems to be glued in place and does not fall out like before. I decided to do a JB Weld bedding job on the stock and will see how that works next time I am at the range.

And I think the wood stock upgrade is a great value if you compare apples to apples. The wood stock models are XP II models with AccuTrigger. Looks like only $20 more right now???

Leroy Tyrebyter
11-28-2016, 12:55 PM
celltech
Are you telling me the factory Savage wood stock on a Savage 22554, or the like, is actually a Boyd's stock? Looks nothing like stocks on Boyd's site as all the Boyd's stocks I see are laminated?

Thanks, LT

Sorry celltech I just found your post from November in another thread about your Axis Hardwood .223. Let me ask you if you have a found a way or know of a way to replace the plastic hardware pieces on the Axis II XP. I'm new to Savage. I just got through building a Remage swap barrel and I'm intere3sted in building another but without the cost of another Remington.

Thanks again, LT

auskip07
11-28-2016, 03:20 PM
celltech
Are you telling me the factory Savage wood stock on a Savage 22554, or the like, is actually a Boyd's stock? Looks nothing like stocks on Boyd's site as all the Boyd's stocks I see are laminated?

Thanks, LT

Sorry celltech I just found your post from November in another thread about your Axis Hardwood .223. Let me ask you if you have a found a way or know of a way to replace the plastic hardware pieces on the Axis II XP. I'm new to Savage. I just got through building a Remage swap barrel and I'm intere3sted in building another but without the cost of another Remington.

Thanks again, LT

i have seen where people say savage has contracted with Boyds to provide a wooden stock. You can bet that savage like most manufacturers asked boydes to cut corners. I have a laminate stock from boyds on another savage rifle and i can say the aftermarket stocks are great quality.

celltech
11-28-2016, 04:50 PM
So yes...the XP Hardwood is using a solid wood Boyds stock. While I think they are more readily known for the laminate, they also carve from solid chunks. If you read around the web people have drilled out Boyds mounting holes and installed proper pillars before, but I won't say that is the easiest thing in the world. You can also change out the plastic trigger guard for a metal one. I have not personally seen a replacement metal magazine catch. But if you push a nice pillar through it, who cares. I feel pretty confident my cheap bedding job should be enough. It seems to have really locked the action in there nicely.

drybean
11-28-2016, 07:14 PM
So yes...the XP Hardwood is using a solid wood Boyds stock. While I think they are more readily known for the laminate, they also carve from solid chunks. If you read around the web people have drilled out Boyds mounting holes and installed proper pillars before, but I won't say that is the easiest thing in the world. You can also change out the plastic trigger guard for a metal one. I have not personally seen a replacement metal magazine catch. But if you push a nice pillar through it, who cares. I feel pretty confident my cheap bedding job should be enough. It seems to have really locked the action in there nicely.

V3 tactical sells a metal mag catch & pillars for Boyds stocks

BZimm
12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
I own a new Axis II XP with the hardwood stock. Mine is chambered 30.06 and I really like the rifle. I am no expert, but I've had the gun apart and I can say it is a Boyds product. I have no idea if it comparable to other Boyds products. I can tell you that a little stain work to darken the factory finish really helped with the lighter factory color. I have less than twenty rounds through this gun, and the 17th one was for a nice little six point whitetail on Monday. I am happy with the Savage accuracy at this point and I'm very happy that I ordered it with the hardwood stock. Feels good and the balance is better than the synthetic .270 Axis that my son uses.

fla9-40
12-04-2016, 02:46 PM
I saw a couple of these in our local Wally World for $344 and cheap scope...Just glad they offer a better stock now!