PDA

View Full Version : My Build

Arkie
11-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Being a fan of the older cartridges I fell in love with the old 7X57 cartridge introduced by Mauser a century + ago. I realize the 7-308 is a newer rendition with almost identical balistics in a shorter case (as long as one is content with SAMMI pressure limitations imposed by rifles built over a century ago).

My first experience with the 7X57 came from butchering an old south American Mauser into a sporter using the original bbl. Accuracy was abysmal using Remington green box ammo so I stuck it back in the gun safe for 15+ years. Then a few years ago I decided to give it another chance before taking the final ride to a gun show and bought some Hornady Custom ammunition. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! groups went from paper plate size to 2 touching with a third under an inch. That darling has a permanent home! Only problem, I'm a lefty and have grown fond of true LH actions since my first Browning A bolt. Always had a preference for the 06 as a cartridge until I found the 7X57.

Problem is the 7X57's not real popular and if even Savage ever built it in a lefty I never found mention of it. So began the custom Savage project. I found an affordable action doaner (in 30-06, that hurt taking it apart) It's the version with both flat and rounded scope mounting area. A custom barrel from Shilen (light sporter weight)was installed by a local hobby smith with suitable gauges and bbl wrenches. Sent the bbled action and related parts to Metaloy and had it all hard chromed. Then sent the refinished assembly to Manners Stocks to be fitted into one of their lt. wt. sporter stocks. Chose a scope mount from EGW and found a gently used Weaver "Classic" 2X10 silver finish scope. Groups are really promising with aforementioned Hornady Custom ammo and bbl still not quite broken in. All 3 shot groups (which is really all that's pertinent with a hunting rifle) stay at or under an inch. this is with rather poor factory trigger.

That's my next project. Is this factory trigger suitable for tuning, lightening, or should I just dive in another $100 for a Timmney?

Thanks,

Bob

olddav
11-27-2016, 05:56 PM
If your trigger is a three screw it can be adjusted to 2.0-2.5#.

RC20
11-27-2016, 06:10 PM
My take is whatever appeals to you on caliber. A good one to go with I think.

For all the whoopee, the old cartridges filled all the niches.

Now we are slicing, dicing, short magnums, not magnums etc. Sure they work, sooner or latter they will sort out and a few survive.

The only real improvements looks (to me) to be some of the target cartridges like the 6.5 creed and Lapua, 6mmBR etc.

Arkie
11-27-2016, 08:42 PM
If your trigger is a three screw it can be adjusted to 2.0-2.5#.

I expect it is. I'll have to pull it out of the stock to check.

Bob

olddav
11-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Here's some info on how to adjust a three screw trigger.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

You can replace the wire spring with a smaller one cut from a buzz bait lure or .043 ( I think) piano wire.

Arkie
11-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Thank you olddav. That's what I was hoping to find.

Bob