PDA

View Full Version : In need of a 6.5 Creedmor barrel for my Savage Stealth

CaptainMubbs
11-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here, but I'm looking to install a creedmor barrel on my stealth for long distance things, any pointers?

RC20
11-27-2016, 02:10 PM
6.5 Creed is pretty common so you should be good to find one.

My first take is to try NSS and see if they have a Shilen or Criterion in stock. They have two categories, one is a slightly better air gauged than the other.
I am more than happy with my Shillen in 30-06.

Criterion has a good reputation and their customer service (offers to take question barrels back and check them) is outstanding.
I do not have one so no personal take, but I have watched them offer to take a barrel back and check it out no questions.

XC another choice, does not mean others are not as good, I have one and it too looks to be a 1/2 MOA shooter if I can get the right load and my shooting going.

Any inability to group under 1/2 MOA looks to be me.

Sometimes is a choice of what is in stock vs an order (Shilen can take 3 months as can McGowan from what my brother reports).

You want to go cut rifled and maybe a notch up accuracy wise (not that I would ever see it) then Krieger, Brux, etc. That will be a long lead time.

I would call Jim at Northern Shooters Supply (NSS) and see what he has. I have had very good dealings with him, his products are top quality, he stands behind his offerings. Others do as well but that is my personal experience and I like the known vs the unknown.

CaptainMubbs
11-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks man, will do, how are they priced? Any other accessories you'd recommend?

Robinhood
11-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Get a barrel nut wrench.

You will find your info here:
Criterion

(http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels-2/criterion-savage/)

psharon97
11-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Most of your aftermarket drop-fit barrels will run in the ~300 price range. Douglas, Shilen, McGowen, CBI, and several others will fall in this price range. These barrels are great performers.

If you want cut rifling, expect to pay much more. Brux and bartlein quickly come to mind. The Brux I had built, with a muzzle break and fluting, ran me ~800. Most of these barrels are not going to be in stock per say, a smith will have to mill a chamber. The last barrel I had ordered, which was the Brux, took 7 months to get.

minnesotamulisha
11-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Last I knew, Black Hole Weaponry had 6.5 Creedmoor prefits ready to ship.

bc160
11-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Well I will through in my thoughts as well. I have a couple XCaliber barrels that shoot lights out. I believe there are some in the classifieds now in stock and ready to go.

Rosco
11-28-2016, 05:27 PM
+1 for X-Caliber

SageRat Shooter
11-28-2016, 05:39 PM
I can recommend the CBI (Criterion) which is the OEM production side of Krieger. I bought one in 22-250 about a year ago and it is a really good shooter... I can put 5 shots into a nickel at 100 yards... (after that I get too excited about the group and wind up throwing a few out)... :disgust:

On the NSS webpage there is an article of a guy who won his F class championship using the same Criterion made barrel. If it's good enough to do that, I cant imagine needing anything more.....

RC20
11-28-2016, 11:42 PM
As you can see it gets confusion fast.

Get the action wrench and nut tool from NSS, you may get one stop shopping as he does Criterion and Shilen.
As noted, any issue at all and Jim is on it. That is a big help. He does the driving and follow up.

Shilen is good, Criterion is good, X-caliber is good (not an NSS line)

I would not go Wilson. They are mass production, probably ok overall, but I had one on an AR, claimed to be 3/4 MOA, could not get it under 1.25 with any load. Good enough for an AR but not what I was after.

ADDED: I would put Wilson on par with Savage, decent barrel but not one of the Shilen/Criterion/XC class that are not mass produced.

As noted, a Brux or Bartlein are a waste unless you are "in the match game".

Robinhood
11-29-2016, 12:53 AM
(Criterion) which is the OEM production side of Krieger.

I believe this to not be completely accurate.

From Criterion:
Criterion Barrels, Inc. Criterion was founded in response to demands of rifle builders and firearms manufacturers for quality button rifled match grade barrels at a reasonable cost. Initially a division of Krieger, Criterion is now completely independent with a separate facility, personnel, and ownership.

SageRat Shooter
11-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Robinhood,

Well I guess things change over time.... When I first started looking at the CBI about 3 years ago, they were still an off shoot of Krieger.

I stand corrected!! They are still a dang fine barrel none the less.

Robinhood
11-29-2016, 06:20 PM
They are still a dang fine barrel none the less.

Oh, No Doubt!

Zero333
11-29-2016, 09:41 PM
I have both type of Shilen stainless barrels. The Match and Select Match. And there is NO difference in accuracy between the two.

Just saying in case anyone is wondering.

RC20
11-30-2016, 01:50 PM
I think its a case of tighter tolerance check may produce a better barrel.

My take was that I am not good enough to see it if it were so went with the lower cost Shilen.