PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: scope help

west2509
11-26-2016, 12:28 PM
I have a featherweight in 308, what scope would look appropriate? I'm looking at a weaver in 4 x but which objective size and does it matter??? It has a packmeyer rings that pivot to the left away from the action, how good are they

Big Al1
11-26-2016, 12:57 PM
That's a big bucket of worms 'cause everybody's tastes I scopes are different. Since the mount is classic, I'd go with a vintage scope of that era! But, you can't go wrong with a Leopold compact, either. Since it's a light weight putting a monster scope on it does not make sense!!

Mad Dog
11-26-2016, 04:25 PM
A Weaver K4 would be period correct.

The Old Coach
11-28-2016, 03:35 AM
Agree a steel Weaver K4 would be perfect. And not too expensive. They're just about bombproof, too. Avoid the ones with the T-post reticle.

Mad Dog
11-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Coach, why avoid the post and crosshair reticle?

I've got a couple here, didn't find them very hard to shoot with?

The Old Coach
11-30-2016, 02:47 PM
If you have to hold over, the post blocks your view of the target. I hated that, the one I had. Some guys like
it for snap shooting in the deer woods, though. So I'm just being opinionated.

Mad Dog
12-01-2016, 09:23 PM
I don't usually shoot the Weavers, mostly Denver made Redfields on all my guns but I do have a couple Weaver K's in the safe.

In fact I just took an old Redfield with a post and crosshair off a 110 WLE in 7X57 Mauser which shot real well before I swapped it for the same scope but with a crosshair and Lee dot in the center, I find it easier to shoot like you said.

reivertom
12-04-2016, 02:26 AM
I have the same gun in .243 and after trying a couple variable scopes, I put an older 4X fixed power Leupold on it with a gloss finish. With the other scopes I had problems with the eye relief, but the fixed Leupold works great with the scope adjusted rearward. It looks appropriate also because it's not too big and bulky. These guns are built in a way that makes eye relief a problem on many scopes. I found rear and forward small Weaver style bases and used Burress Z Rings just because I like the way they look and work.