PDA

View Full Version : NW Gulf FL?

Appleseed
11-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Any members here spend time in the fall/winter in NW FL, Big Bend and up and around to St Joe?

Rick_W
11-25-2016, 09:53 PM
I have family that lives outside of Pensacola. It's an easy day trip for me to get there - only 90 miles.

jpx2rk
11-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Lived in Panama City for 4.5 yrs about 15 yrs ago. What info you looking for??

Appleseed
11-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Surf/Shore fishing access

Rick_W
11-25-2016, 11:14 PM
What's left of the old bridge between Pensacola and Gulf Breeze was turned into a fishing pier/bridge.

I know of several kayak fishermen who launch from the surf all the way down to the Tampa area, don't know why surf fishing would be off limits.

big honkin jeep
11-25-2016, 11:46 PM
I have several nephews in Navarre right now trying to get me to come on down, but I have a few prior commitments. The water is finally cooling enough for the fish to come in. Supposed to be a really good flounder bite this weekend.
Good luck

jpx2rk
11-26-2016, 07:27 AM
I would google for FL fishing forums, they are usually set up for different parts of the state or areas, etc., and you could get some leads and info that way.

Appleseed
11-26-2016, 10:04 AM
We do lots of fishing at NC coast, want to try some new water. Access changes here due to the whims of the park service.

I'm using the forums and an angler's guide by a well known guide. However, so much of the upper west side is not accessible without a shallow draft boat, or kayak. This will be as much a scouting mission as a fishing trip, so not hauling a boat 10 hrs and will stay north of the Steinhatchee and around Big Bend barrier islands.

m12lrs
11-29-2016, 01:29 PM
St George island has good surf fishing. So does cape San Blass. Try the stump hole there. Great state Park campground.

St Joe Bay has great fishing boat or kayak would be nice but you can wade.

Big Bend is mostly salt marsh. Great fishing but a boat is really required for accessing most of it.

Appleseed
11-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Great, this is info the boards and books don't share. Since I don't want to pull a boat and can't afford a guide-a-day, surf and wade is my option. Planning a late winter trip, probably a re-con mission.

Piers are ok but the wind and drunks are tiring. Ever tried to lift a big drum 20 ft vertically to unhook?

The last time I fished lower Big Bend, it was GREAT! Had a metal john then. Can't "paddle" a kayak and hate sitting that low on the water. My Hyde metal drift boat may do better. Not fast but sure, (and bomb-proof), all I have to do is row. Won't allow for long cross water trips as it makes all of 4mph, (without headwinds and has no flotation). One hull won't do it all!

Cape San Blass looks promising.

Wildcat
11-29-2016, 07:24 PM
M12lrs has given you some great info. Around St. George and the St. Joe Bay are great spots. The T. H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park on Cape San Blas has good camping and the option for cabin reservations if they are available. You can access the park website inline to make reservations. I live in Tallahassee, and as stated, much of the Big Bend is salt marsh or shallow sea grass beds and you need a boat to access it. It can also be quite windy on the water sometimes in the winter. I unfortunately am boat-less so won't be much help when it comes to Loran coordinates or honey-holes. :apologetic:

Rick_W
11-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Can't "paddle" a kayak and hate sitting that low on the water. My Hyde metal drift boat may do better. Not fast but sure, (and bomb-proof), all I have to do is row. Won't allow for long cross water trips as it makes all of 4mph, (without headwinds and has no flotation). One hull won't do it all!

I love enabling...

I have two Wilderness Systems kayaks taking up space in my backyard - my shoulders can't take it, either.

On my short list if I get another kayak is a Hobie - either the Outback or the Professional Angler (PA) 12.

If the weight doesn't bother you and you have the means to transport it, the PA12 a very stable boat/kayak. With the Mirage Drive pedal system, it's also very easy to propel. The seat is also adjustable and very comfortable. All of this does come at a price, though. $$$$

jpx2rk
11-29-2016, 09:39 PM
I had a WS Ride 115 but my back could not take being "pinned" in the seat (although a very comfy seat) for more than 45 minutes before my leg would start going to sleep. Sold that and got a Nucanoe Frontier 12 with a 30# trolling motor on it. No paddling, and an elevated 360 seat, much better. I'm not dissing the WS, they make a great yak.

Rick_W
11-29-2016, 10:06 PM
I had a WS Ride 115 but my back could not take being "pinned" in the seat (although a very comfy seat) for more than 45 minutes before my leg would start going to sleep. Sold that and got a Nucanoe Frontier 12 with a 30# trolling motor on it. No paddling, and an elevated 360 seat, much better. I'm not dissing the WS, they make a great yak.
I have a Ride 115 and a Commander 140.

The issue with adding a trolling motor is that it then has to be registered as a boat. Some people don't mind this, some do.

I just looked to see how much the Hobie's are currently listed for - WOW!!! I can't believe they've gone up that much. I was looking at them just 2-3 years ago and they were at least $600 - $800 less.