PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 Hog Hunter 223 - feeding problems

jamesp81
11-25-2016, 02:20 AM
I have a brand new 11 HH in 223. It is struggling to feed reliably. This rifle has the center feed blind magazine.

With some cartridges the tip will impact the face of the breach at the 6 o'clock position more or less.

Other cartridges the tip will elevate too much. This type of failure is the most common. The tip will impact the face of the breach anywhere from the 12 o'clock to the 2 o'clock position. Sometimes the tip will contact the top of the receiver housing before contacting the face of the breach.

The majority of these failures occur when feeding the first cartridge after reloading.

This rifle appears to more or less not have anything resembling a feed ramp. This seems like a flawed design to me.

I am am planning to convert the rifle to AICS mags and put it in a new stock. If anyone has solved these issues by converting to DBM let me know. If not I either need to find a fix or trade in and get something made by someone else. I don't want to drop 450 dollars on DBM conversion parts and a new stock if the thing is still going to jam all the time.

jamesp81
11-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Nevermind, I'm stoopid. I had taken down the bolt for cleaning and lubrication and I had the bolt head on 180 degrees opposite the way it's supposed to be. No wonder it wasn't acting right.

foxx
11-25-2016, 12:29 PM
LOL

Been there, done that. More than once. :)

Also, if the front baffle is spun around the wrong way, it won't go back into the action.

If the safety is on, you can't pull the trigger so as to push down the bolt release button.

Carry on. :)