PDA

View Full Version : Scope base screw hole out of position

dfrosch
11-24-2016, 11:25 AM
I have a short action with the very rear scope base screw hole a little out of position. That screw would bind when mounting a base and now has a broken screw in it. I think the screw hole was the cause of some accuracy issues. A three shot group would have two holes touching and the other, usually the second, would be a couple inches right and an inch high.

I think my options are:
1) Scrap the action and start with a different one.
2) Have the screw hole moved to the right location. Don't know how expensive this would be.
3) Have the broken screw removed and modify a base to fit the existing screw hole.
4) Have the broken screw removed and use three screws on a one piece base.

Has anyone have any experience with an issue like this?

Thanks in advance.
Dana

drybean
11-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Try it with 3 screws frist

grouse
11-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Frustrating. Call savage.

I would have the screw removeed abd the holes drilled and tapped to 8-40. They can probably make it work

foxx
11-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Or try a traditional 2 piece Leupold base with dovetail front and windage adjustable rear. You will likely need to then lap the rings so as to not bind the tube. In any event, the rear base will be a little cockeyed, but the windage screw might help make up for it.

Kind of expensive, time consuming for a system you might not want anyhow.

I'm beginning to think Savage should replace it or pay for what Grouse suggested.

hereinaz
11-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Or try a traditional 2 piece Leupold base with dovetail front and windage adjustable rear. You will likely need to then lap the rings so as to not bind the tube. In any event, the rear base will be a little cockeyed, but the windage screw might help make up for it.

Kind of expensive, time consuming for a system you might not want anyhow.

I'm beginning to think Savage should replace it or pay for what Grouse suggested.
Call Savage! If it is out of square, its a defect and they very well may fix it.

They will pay for shipping both ways if they will take it for repairs.

RC20
11-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Agreed and from my experience Savage service was very nice and top notch.

dfrosch
11-24-2016, 11:09 PM
I'll try calling Savage.

Thanks for your help.

dfrosch
12-14-2016, 12:35 AM
I filled out the contact form online. Just heard back from them. They said to send the whole rifle in, but remove accessories.

Should I remove the Rifle Basix SAV2 and replace the accutrigger? Heard stories about Remington switching aftermarket triggers out and charging for the factory trigger.

greenteeth
12-14-2016, 01:07 AM
I would

Texas10
12-14-2016, 01:32 AM
Be sure to include a full explanation of what the issue is and place it INSIDE THE BOX with the firearm. There is no connection between the online contact form and Customer Service who will be working the issue.

I know it sounds stupid, but it seems to be the case. Been there, done that, got the rifle back un-repaired to prove it.

hereinaz
12-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Put your name, address and phone number in the box too...

dfrosch
12-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys. Getting lots of good advice here.

dfrosch
12-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Got one last question:

While all the parts are Savage, this is definitely a build. The VLP stock and varmint barrel didn't come with this action. Should I put it back to original form(plastic stock and sporter barrel) before sending it?

olddav
12-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Don't send them anything that is not OEM. You will not get it back!

short round
12-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Your best bet is to make it all original.

hereinaz
12-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Don't send them anything that is not OEM. You will not get it back!
I sent a stainless axis action, with a blued bolt, barrel was cut, threaded and it had a muzzle break.

The only part savage touched was the part broken--my trigger.

I think it might make a difference what the complaint is and what they have to replace.