PDA

View Full Version : 111 Long Range Hunter problem

amozorro
11-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone
First, excuse my horrible English.
I have just bought a new rifle, one 111 Long Range Hunter chambered for a 6,5-284 cartridge. I have not shot yet, so I dont know how accurate it is, but I was surprised because the entire barrel is not totally floated. At the end of the accustock the stock surrounding the barrel contacts with it. I am not telling that the barrel is tilted towards one side and touchs the stock. What I say is that at the end, maybe the last inch is in contact surrounding the steel. I came back to the gun shop and checked other rifle and it was the same.
Any input about this question?
Regards from Spain

RC20
11-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Deleted got repeat

RC20
11-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Deleted, finished article and cleared up the OPS question.

RC20
11-24-2016, 05:22 PM
First your English is just fine, we don't worry about perfect around here (or so I hope). More than good enough to get the concern across.

Welcome to the group. At one time I had a Star PD in 45 semi auto, great pistol, easily matched up quality wise to the best US made guns.
With good quality guns over there its a plus that you bought a Savage (we love them of course but not all appreciate them!)

Oddly, per this article, its normal on that model for contact up front!

I agree its odd, Savage free floats their barrels. the Article starts by say its free floating then they say it has a pressure ridge.

Bad writing but the page in the link clearly says it has contact up front.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-long-range-hunter-review-1.php

I did not know that. Odd. Why? no solid idea.

I know that back in the day pressure on the front was normal part of the tuning.

Why they did this on that model and not others?

Maybe others can weight in.

RC20
11-24-2016, 05:33 PM
One of the commenters did post he got rid of the ridge and got better accuracy.

I would try it with and then only change it if not happy.

It looks like reloads may be the best accuracy with that caliber as the best load sorted out to a Berger bullet and a long seating depth.

Granted reloaded tends to be true that way, though 308 has a lot of match rounds that are very good.

Your gun also has the 1.5 lb accu trigger if you choose to adjust it down that far. I would not for hunting but for bench shooting I do like the 1.5 lb set.

amozorro
11-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Thank you for the link.
What I dont understand is why they say the barrel is totally floated. Besides, benchrest, competition guns ...have always the entire barrel floated. And this one, theoretically a long range rifle, hasnot.

RC20
11-25-2016, 08:33 PM
I don't get it either, but contrary to all that, it does have what over here we would call a pressure point.

It might be worth a call to Savage to see what they say as to why.