PDA

View Full Version : 7mm magnum bull barrels

Garretpauley63
11-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Hey guys, I own a savage model 110 7mm magnum rifle that I am currently working on turning into a tactical sniper rifle. I'm searching for a #17 contour barrel and despite hours of looking have yet to find one made for a savage. Is there anywhere I can find one or will I have to convert another barrel to a savage style?

RC20
11-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Ok, admittedly I am not a barrel expert and just a fairly decent working knowledge of these.

I think the short answer is no one makes it, you can maybe get that profile (Bugholes?) and they can thread it to Savage and ream it for you.

Shilen offers out of the box stock Savage pre fit contours in their version of a Varmint profile (close to 17) or a bull (heavier than 17) as near as I can tell.

You could figure out which of those two suits you and get it. That is the most straight forward. I would think the Savage type aka Varmint which is really a Heavy Varmint would work.

that gets you a solid barrel and still lighter than the bull by probably 2 lbs.

Or you can ask Jim at NBSS if they do make other contours like 17 and mill downl

Contact NSS with your take, he can ask Shilen.

I too searched endlessly for a 30-06 Bull, I thought it was a natural (no) and it simply is not kept in stock though 30 caliber blanks are. You do get into the exterior diameter, how much comes off (or not) and how much of a shoulder you would have (or not) with the Savage receiver.

17 Contour is larger at the receiver than is a Savage barrel (normally)

I will let someone else or Jim answer if that is done for milling the receiver end down to accept Savage threads and how it then fits up to the receiver as you would have a L jump there.,

Steelhead
11-24-2016, 10:27 PM
A heavy varmint/Palma would be a better and much easier to get option.
Don't need the weight for a smaller caliber.

psharon97
11-25-2016, 09:53 AM
What are you planning on doing with this rifle? If you're looking at target shooting at long distance, then the the weight will be helpful. I built a nice 7mm rem mag a few years ago with a Brux bull barrel chambered by Fred at SSS. I also had him install their muzzle break and mill fluting on the barrel. I also had a local company cerekote the barrel.

RC20
11-25-2016, 01:24 PM
A heavy varmint/Palma would be a better and much easier to get option.
Don't need the weight for a smaller caliber.

If its a 7mm Rem Magnum, I would want as much weight as I can get.

That's a hot round and heats up the barrel a lot.

It also has a nasty kick (though a recoil pad and a brake would help a lot)

I do think the Heavy Varmint Savage profile would be a good in between choice.

You can tune the length a bit and save a bit of weight in 24 inch. .