PDA

View Full Version : 260 dying?

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
11-26-2016, 11:24 AM
^^^^Yes, it is. I think the mfr's like to have something new to promote so as to generate new sales.

what do you mean about Rem letting 260 languish???
and
"(wonder why?)".

Not disagreeing, I simply don't know anything about it. Care to elaborate? Or are you saying it's just "good business"?

Steelhead
11-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Funny that I just saw this post as I was in 5 different stores today here in El Paso and only one store, Gouger Mountain, had any 260 Remington on the shelf and only 4 boxes at that. Had me wondering if the 260 was dead/dying.

That's the norm for the last decade
In the last few years that has changed
i only reload for it but I always look at factory offerings and it's gotten a LOT better.
Remington.
Nosler.
Barnes.
Federal.
Prime.
Black hils.
And soon even the 6.5 creedmore company itself, Hornandy will have factory loads.

Personaly, the biggest detriment to it is the loss of the excellent Winchester/Olin 243 brass for forming 260 brass.
New stuff is mediocre at best.
Old stuf was cheap, durable and consistent.
Luckily i have enough of the old stuff to wear out 2 more barrels.

Txhillbilly
11-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Remington has always failed at promoting their cartridges,just look at the history of what they have developed over the years. I love the 6.5 Creedmoor,and have shot one since it was a new cartridge,but the 260 has its merits also. I have a DPMS LR serries in 260 Remington,and it's a hog killing machine,but with any rifle chambered in 260,you have magazine length limits that don't come into play with the 6.5 Creedmoor for those that hand load their ammo.

I'm building a 260AI bolt action right now,just because I got a great deal on the barrel. I will be fire forming Lapua brass for this rifle,but regular 260 brass is easily formed from any 308 family brass. I use 243 brass for all of my LR-260's needs,just run it through the 260 sizing die and load it!

There are several newer players in the 6.5 game. The 6.5 SAUM,and the 6.5 SLR are cartridges that the speed freaks are shooting now.

psharon97
11-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Both remington and winchester have let great cartridges languish. Some examples would be the 284 winchester, 280 remington, and 7mm WSM. All of those cartridges now, for the most part, exist as wildcat cartridges. The WSM is tough to find brass in; although the 7mm RSAUM can still be found. I've never seen any rifles chambered in either the 284 or the 280, both excellent cartridges, now exist as reloader's cartridges. I'm wondering if cartridge companies come out with new cartridges for a few years, then get bored with them because the vast majority of people continue to buy 308, 30-06, 270, 243, 223, 22-250, 7mm-08 7mm rem mag, and 300 win mag. Seems those of the cartridges that stay in popularity.

eddiesindian
11-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Sort of interesting how different calibers wax and wane over the years. The 260 was "hot stuff" for a time. Bench rest folks liked it but Remington let the 260 kind of languish (wonder why?) and next in line was the 6.5 Creedmoor. "The 260 Done Right" became the new battle cry.

6.5x55 SE anyone?
I've been looking into a 6.5x55 barrel. Looks promising. Brass is available everywhere or so it seems.

wbm
11-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Brass and factory ammunition are very available.

squirrel_slayer
11-27-2016, 01:54 AM
For those that reload the 260, how much more velocity can be gained from the cartridge by loading the 140/104+gr bullets forward in the case instead of seating back into the case because of the need to load it into a short action? Basically, it is my understanding that if a long action was used for the 260 so that the cartridge could be loaded longer there should be an increase in performance with the longer bullets over the existing short action, so anyone know how much more velocity and energy can be obtained?

I'd have to poke around in quickload to get real #'s but I can say this. to benefit from your plans you would possibly have to throat the barrel for the longer cartridge length, but some of the new vld's take alot to reach the lands so that may not be 100% accurate. you will gain some useable case capacity but not much. I plan to do a similar change with my .308 in the near future. I'm single feeding 208 hornady's right now as there 3"+ and I can get 2525 fps with them and its a huge improvement over the 168 amax's I shoot at mag length 2623ft/sec. right now i'm only using them beyond 600 and sometimes 800yds as they help in the wind, but they do knock the snot out of you compared to the 168's. lol:beaten:

Steelhead
11-27-2016, 02:28 AM
Both remington and winchester have let great cartridges languish. Some examples would be the 284 winchester, 280 remington, and 7mm WSM. All of those cartridges now, for the most part, exist as wildcat cartridges. The WSM is tough to find brass in; although the 7mm RSAUM can still be found. I've never seen any rifles chambered in either the 284 or the 280, both excellent cartridges, now exist as reloader's cartridges. I'm wondering if cartridge companies come out with new cartridges for a few years, then get bored with them because the vast majority of people continue to buy 308, 30-06, 270, 243, 223, 22-250, 7mm-08 7mm rem mag, and 300 win mag. Seems those of the cartridges that stay in popularity.
It's a shame 7mmWSM and SAUM are fading.
Lots of potential in them.

JASmith
11-27-2016, 09:03 AM
"How much more CAN be attained?" None if you want to stick to SAAMI pressure standards.

This is a "my daddy can beat-up your daddy" discussion. If you stay within SAAMI pressure, they are the same cartridge. Within typical nominal lot variations between powders there is a slight, and re-said SLIGHT velocity advantage to the 260. If 50fps is THAT important to you, you are a poor marksman.

If the 260 leaves your panties wet, great for you. If the Creed is what shivers your timbers, focus on that choice.
Making a justification isn't needed, and is always foolish.

If you are talking over-pressure, better hook-up the issue trace to compare apples to apples.
+1

That even applies to choosing between the Grendel, Creedmoor, 260, 25-06, and so on.

All will reliably harvest game and varmints within 300 yards, all will go a bit further with the right bullet, many will go 100 or so yards further out at the expense of more recoil and reduced barrel life.

In the end, however, how many of us actually used to check list to select our mate for life? Some like small blondes, others like large redheads, and still more have a thing for brunettes of any flavor. So, if the 260 catches your imagination, go for it. Others have the same fascination for the other cartridges.

My take is that there is not enough difference in the hunting arena to support a choice, particularly between the 260 and the Creedmoor. The Creedmoor will continue to have an edge in the long range venue because Dave Emery had the wisdom to move the shoulder-neck junction back enough to allow the cartridge to hold long ogive bullets while having similar powder capacity. For almost all of us, the choice becomes one of what captures the imagination.

FW Conch
11-27-2016, 09:57 AM
If no new cartridges were developed after 1906, we would still have all we need. But how much fun would that be?

foxx
11-28-2016, 12:38 AM
^^^LOL I like that.

Dave Hoback
12-05-2016, 12:21 PM
I love the 260. Had my choice when I built this rifle between it, and Creedmore. Chose 260 for the bump in case capacity, while still working in a short action, over Creedmore, and the ability to tap into a seemingly endless supply of cheep brass. I use once fired, LC 7.62 brass. And they come out beautifully. But I still have my choice of Lapua, Nosler or Norma 260 brass for the absolute MOST accurate. 260 going away? Certainly not in this lifetime of reloaders.