PDA

View Full Version : New Savage gun

huntnmachine7mm
11-23-2016, 05:41 PM
I have a Savage 114 stainless American Walnut in 300 Win Mag and love this gun, shoots great and is a great looking gun.
I recently purchased a Savage 16/116 stainless Hunter in 7MM Mag on sale at Cabelas Canada online and have yet to shoot it. First impressions of the gun are good but from the reviews I read before buying it, the scope and clip are cheap and they are correct. I was planning on upgrading the scope anyway so that is not an issue.

Does the plastic tab on the clip break over time..........sure looks like it will with extended use
How do you like the gun overall with respect to accuracy

Terry

jayman412
12-02-2016, 10:00 PM
I bought a used Model 111 FXP4 7mm Rem Mag. Serial # G423***, non Accutrigger made about 2003. This was a package deal with sling and Simmons 3-9x40 8 Point scope. It has a 24 inch barrel, a 3 round stagger stack fed, blind magazine This fine shooter has harvested deer 4 out of 5 years, would have been 5 for 5 but the Simmons scope failed. I would like to take this out west and harvest an elk. I will need upgrades and/or modifications like an new mil dot scope and replace the 3 round capacity blind magazine with a 4 round capacity removable magazine, or another 7mm, prior to heading west.

This spring I replaced the scope with a gift I received, a Leapers UTG 3-12x44. To mount the shorter 30mm tube scope, I needed a Weaver Rail, another gift. The problem now, (or OPPORTUNITY to further customize or modify) to insert a round from the top side with the Weaver Rail is difficult. I can see this becoming a dexterity issue as I age. I called Savage today and looked into a new stock and removable magazine. They can add a removable mag to a center stack blind magazine, but I have a stagger stack blind magazine, no parts at Savage to add a removable magazine for the stagger stack design.

I need to add a removable magazine to this fine shooter, and modify or replace or the stock. I could replace the scope and ditch the Weaver Rail but I love the scope, but I still need to add a larger capacity, removable magazine before I go west. Time to make a new Christmas list... and go semi auto?

Has anyone modified this gun to a removable mag and are there after market parts available to modify?
Should I just drop this off to the gun smith and let him work his wonders???
Should I sell it and buy a new or used Savage 7mm Rem Mag with the removable magazine?
Any ideas or insight would be wonderful, all constructive advice welcome, if you are able to help me post a NEW THREAD it would not let me post a NEW THREAD???

LinemanBob
12-03-2016, 11:59 AM
I am new to the Savage Shooters forum so bear with me. I just purchased my first Savage rifle. I have two wonderful .22's but this is my second center fire rifle. I broke the bank with my Anschutz 1712 with the Leopold 6.5X24 glass at over $3000.00. Then the Tony Kidd 10/22 with glass was over $1500.00. I went a totally different direction with the Savage. I started at Cabela's with the Savage model 12 FV .308 at $382.25 out the door including NY taxes. I added a Mueller Tactical 8X32X44 Scope with side focus for another $224.88. Last a DNZ Game Reaper 30MM Low mounts ( no longer produced ) . I now am looking forward to drilling some holes in some paper for a total of $699.13 including all shipping and taxes. Not including the $25.00 rebate from Federal for buying two boxes of their ammo. I am excited to try it out.

dranrab
12-04-2016, 03:32 PM
That plastic clip sure seems cheesy to me. I have no idea how it will wear over time. I'd prefer a more positive metal latch.

Evlshnngns
12-04-2016, 04:53 PM
My new model 11 TH has the plastic clip,didn't lock in very affirmative the first couple times. If anyone knows of an upgrade in capacity or material please post a part number.