PDA

View Full Version : New member, new 10T, quick question

gill7784
11-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Hey all! I am new to the forum and new to the world of bolt-action, and decided to go with a 10T in .308 as my first rifle. I have many other firearms, but the bolt gun is a whole new beast to me. As per my normal routine, I broke my new rifle down for a good cleaning and oiling prior to its first range trip. Upon reinstalling the action into the Accustock, I noted the safety tang sitting up fairly high. I know the Savage 10s have a floating safety tang, but this seems a bit too high. Sadly, I never thought to take note prior to breaking it down, so i have no point of reference. I'm attaching a couple pictures for any feedback you all can offer. I followed the instructions in the manual several times, each with the same result.

Thanks!

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q556/joshua_gilliam/IMG_1847_zpstyjqggzz.jpg

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q556/joshua_gilliam/IMG_1848_zpssuhupzg4.jpg

Robinhood
11-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Take it back out of the stock and cycle the bolt and pull the trigger. If everything functions fine you just need to wiggle it in to make sure it seats in the stock. Torque the screws to at least 20 inch pounds if possible. Just don't break any plastic parts.

bearcatrp
11-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Mine is a little high too. suggest you take apart and reseat it just in case savage may have screwed up. Have a torque wrench handy. congrats on a fine rifle. I have both 10T's in 6.5 and 308. My 308 has been a tac driver since the 1st shot. Loves 178 ELD-X. Have shot the 208 ELD-M too. Enjoy. Its a sweet rifle!

EmanP
11-23-2016, 03:48 AM
Mine was like that as well. I'm sure everyone will scoff, but I just used a plastic mallet to straighten it out, push it down when it was apart. It was interfering with my grip and didn't take much to 'fix'.

redman
11-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Really not a big deal. Best to have zero of the tang touching the stock. On one of mine I even cut a little more stock out to make sure it had clearance.

To make sure your action is seated in the stock, take the barreled action out and seat it back in the stock and try to seat the recoil lug as far back up against the inletted area as possible. Hold the action and stock firmly together and put the action screws in. Just when you can feel the screws just start to get tight and making sure the action is in full contact with the bedding block surface, stop. Take and hit the butt of the rifle on the floor. This will seat your lug up against the bearing surface where it should be in the stock. Keep the rifle upright and tighten the screws. 55 to 65 inch lbs for an accustock.

redman
11-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Oh and BTW if you have to use a rubber mallet to get your action to seat properly then you have bigger issues. The action should slide right in. Even when fully bedded and zero slop in the fit of the action and stock, it should still come in and out without using force.

redman
11-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Oh and BTW if you have to use a rubber mallet to get your action to seat properly then you have bigger issues. The action should slide right in. Even when fully bedded and zero slop in the fit of the action and stock, it should still come in and out without using force.

Robinhood
11-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Now that my jaw is back on my face, I have to ask why you felt the need to hit your gun to get something to fit when you did not have to hit it to take it apart?

gill7784
11-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! I spent the majority of the evening messing with it, and it just doesn't want to change position. The action fits in nicely, the lug seats and the bolts torque as per suggested above. I'm just going to chalk it up to just a normal variation in tolerance and go shoot stuff. I mounted my rings and scope this morning, and I'm quite pleased with the overall setup.

FYI - I wouldn't ever consider taking a mallet to anything firearm related. I thank the person who suggested that, but I would rather not go pounding on stuff.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q556/joshua_gilliam/IMG_1853_zps2kvcrmt7.jpg

redman
11-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Love the bolt handle. Getting mine out of layaway here soon!

gill7784
11-23-2016, 02:41 PM
The only thing about this rifle that I am not-so-happy with is the stock finish. I mean, it looks OK, but some of the edges are a bit rough and the color is blotchy. Nothing a bit of finish work and some Krylon can fix though! Its actually a nice opportunity to make it "mine".

Robinhood
11-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Order a Stockade or a SSS LVT and be done.

redman
11-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Hell yeah. I did the same to a few of my savages. I also filled the butt of the stock up with silicone to balance it out and deaden vibration and recoil a bit. (Talking about the factory stock)

I'm not a big fan of laminated stocks after seeing my brothers split on him. Also, unless they have an aluminum v-block you still have a lot of work to do bedding the action. I say try the accustock first. Customize it to your liking. You'll then have a grasp of what you want for sure if you decide to upgrade.

gill7784
11-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Hell yeah. I did the same to a few of my savages. I also filled the butt of the stock up with silicone to balance it out and deaden vibration and recoil a bit. (Talking about the factory stock)

That's a really good idea that I hadn't considered. I threw a Limbsaver on there, so hopefully the recoil will be OK. I have a Springfield M1A in .308 also, and I don't mind the recoil at all. I hope this one is similar!

wicked251
11-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Nice choice, my 10T loves federal match grade with 175SMK bullets.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

gill7784
11-26-2016, 08:34 PM
So, not to beat a dead horse, but I actually figured out why it was sitting a bit higher than those I've seen posted online. Turns out the magazine release was rubbing on the back side of the aluminum bedding block ever-so-slightly. I look the bottom metal out and saw the bedding block contact point, which i resolved with a few passes from a file. Well, that allowed the bottom metal to fit a tiny bit better, which in turn led to a more flush mount on the trigger guard, which resulted in the safety tang moving into the correct position. Funny how something so small in an unrelated area can cause a change in tolerance.

KevDoggy
11-26-2016, 09:57 PM
I am a new Savage 10 owner myself! What scope rings do you have on your gun? The ones I got are too tall and my scope is not staying put

Thanks, Kyoung

FW Conch
11-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Sure beats using a hammer! ;-))

gill7784
11-26-2016, 10:39 PM
The rings are Badger Ordinance max 50 standard height in 30mm. They are speedy, but the only rings I'll use.

redman
11-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Good work! Thanks for coming back and sharing.