PDA

View Full Version : Factory Trophy Hunter stock significantly misaligned - recommendations?

mouseaggie
11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Hi all - I've seen a few posts on the 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP accuracy issues, and the first thing folks suggest is ensuring the barrel is free floated.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and have also had some accuracy issues. I've worked on free floating the barrel, but the stock was misaligned quite a bit, where the right side of the barrel has plenty of space, but the left side was touching. I sanded the left side down, and still have more sanding to do to get the the space that I need between the stock and the barrel. I've also tried removing the stock and reseating it - but it is still misaligned.

My concern is that I'm going to cause the left side of the stock to be too thin, much thinner than the right side - will that create any issues? If so, I guess my options are 1. send it back to Savage to fix, or 2. take it to a gunsmith, or 3. reseat it myself and some buffering.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Here is a pic to show you the issue. Thanks in advance

http://i.imgur.com/n75SNki.png

FW Conch
11-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Buy a Boyd's stock, move up, and move on. :-)

mouseaggie
11-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Buy a Boyd's stock, move up, and move on. :-)

Is the factory stock on it that bad? And is a Boyd stock that much better?

So, that's a fourth option - but any recommendations on the best path if I was to keep the factory stock, at least for now?

olddav
11-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Plastic stocks warp, so sand away and save some money for a new stock. Once the barrel clears the stock and you find the ammo it likes you might be able to put off replacing the stock for a long while.

Some people have tried to stiffen the plastic stocks with varying degrees of success, you may find some info using the search fuction.

johned
11-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Mouse,

I don't think you are in very much trouble. you are going to bed the action and float the barrel....right. Just doing that will resolve your problems. Wrap some masking tape around your barrel just as youi would to do a free float. Make sure the barrel sits down in the stock right and easily. No jamming it in with a clamp. You want it thick enuff to fill that barrel channel from side to side. Then bed the action. The action and barrel will be held in place at a slight angle that will put everything in the center. Be a good idea to bed the recoil lug and the rest of the action at that time so take your time. When you set the action into the fresh epoxy bedding do so with a min of force. After bedding you need to re-apply Kiwi shoe polish freshly to the clean stock to insure a second easy release. You do know that the Kiwi is to be rubbed and brushed vigorously after application and drying to get it very thin and flat for the tightest of fits. Once you bed the thing every part will fit like....well....like it was bedded. Good luck and send pics.

See, that cut all those steps where you were fitting a action into a stock you were going to slather epoxy on anyway.