PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to possibly turn my necks?

scooterf79
11-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Hey guys,
I've got a 22br I put together a few months ago. It's a .252 neck. I've done very little load development with it (busy with life lol). Ive loaded and shot a few rounds to break in the barrel and get close to zero.
I loaded up some 52gr mk, benchmark powder, CCI br4 in Lapua brass. I ran them across the chronograph and noticed my
ESs were about 100 fps for each load. I thought that was a little odd since my 6br is in the single digits and teens. Then I noticed a fired case neck wasnt opened enough to slide a bullet into it.
I was just curious if the neck may not be opening enough to release the bullet leading to my rather high ESs? I don't have the neck measurements to give as I'm not home right now.
Thanks guys!
Scooter

The Old Coach
11-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Yes, you definitely need to turn your necks. Whether that will categorically solve your ES is open to discussion, but IMHO it will help a lot.

darkker
11-22-2016, 02:35 PM
I agree, don't know that it will fix your ES, but sounds like you definitely need to do something about the thickness.

I have a load in a 204 that has an ES of 100, but the groups to 200 which is my max distance for it use; say that I need to leave the load alone.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-22-2016, 08:21 PM
.252 IS a no turn neck for the 22 BR. Got one and don't turn necks. I don't bother checking ES because all the bullets are going in the same hole and that's good enough for me.

LongRange
11-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Before ANYONE can answer that question they would need to know the numbers first...at least your loaded and fired neck size.

Personally I'd like to see loaded and fired measurements taken at 3 spots....at the neck/shoulder junction..middle of neck and at the mouth of the neck...a 100fps ES is high and makes me question a few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
11-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Is Benchmark "the Powder"? Have any H322 or R17 around?

LongRange
11-22-2016, 09:22 PM
I think RL-15 is the powder in the 22BR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooterf79
11-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I've been out of town hunting this week. I'll be home tomorrow so I can get the measurements then and post them.
I chose Benchmark for that load because it was what Sierra had for their "accuracy load" with that bullet.
I have all of those powders handy to try.
Scooter

bigedp51
11-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,
I've got a 22br I put together a few months ago. It's a .252 neck. I've done very little load development with it (busy with life lol). Ive loaded and shot a few rounds to break in the barrel and get close to zero.
I loaded up some 52gr mk, benchmark powder, CCI br4 in Lapua brass. I ran them across the chronograph and noticed my
ESs were about 100 fps for each load. I thought that was a little odd since my 6br is in the single digits and teens. Then I noticed a fired case neck wasnt opened enough to slide a bullet into it.
I was just curious if the neck may not be opening enough to release the bullet leading to my rather high ESs? I don't have the neck measurements to give as I'm not home right now.
Thanks guys!
Scooter

The warning sign is a bullet will not fit in a fired case, yes the fired neck springs back from the actual chamber neck diameter meaning smaller. BUT neck wall thickness and annealing will effect brass spring back.

So just remember the extra neck clearance when neck turning will also prevent pressure spikes from necks that are too thick and brass flow into the neck. (donuts)

The variations in ES could be load density or variations in case capacity to name just two. Last year I bought a Magnetospeed chronograph and my AR15 blasing ammo had a wide variation in ES compared to cheap factory ammo. When I upped the load the ES was much less but the funny part was the group size was the same. And I can blame that on age and drinking too much coffee.

yobuck
11-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Will the bullet not go in? Or will it go in with a little effort?
Id also try several different pcs.
I wouldn't be too hasty about screwing up a good thing.

scooterf79
11-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Will the bullet not go in? Or will it go in with a little effort?
Id also try several different pcs.
I wouldn't be too hasty about screwing up a good thing.
They won't go in...any of them, feels just about like seating in a sized case.

Sorry for the delay, I completely forgot about this until today.
I'm using digital dial calipers so the 4th place number is probably so-so.
Fired case measurements:
Case mouth .2515
3/4 down neck .252

New case: .2485 @ case mouth

Loaded:
Case mouth: .2505
3/4 down .252

LR, I didn't post the case shoulder junction measurement, didn't seem like I was getting a good consistent measurement. I could've been not putting the caliper in the right place consistently.

I'm using a redding FL NON-BUSHING die. I went with this because of possible donuts with the bushing die. I'm using a forster micrometer seating die.

I know it's supposed to be a no-turn neck that doesn't seem like much clearance with a loaded round.
Scooter

bigedp51
11-29-2016, 05:59 PM
They won't go in...any of them, feels just about like seating in a sized case.

I'm using a redding FL NON-BUSHING die. I went with this because of possible donuts with the bushing die.
Scooter

What is the diameter of the expander, it should be approximately .001 to .002 smaller than bullet diameter.

Here is a good one, I ordered a carbide floating expander button from Redding for my .243 Redding die. When the expander came it measured .2428, I then emailed Redding and they told me it was within specs.