PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ 110 --- 30-06 misfire question

ABL1111
11-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi all - newbie here.

I believe this is a late 50's Savage 110 in 30-06, that is exceptionally clean and been in my family for 45+ years. It was not fired much for the last 20 years but that has changed since my Dad gave it to me. I started hunting with it about 3 years ago. This year, at the range, the first shot misfired, I didn't think much of it. The next (3) shots fired and were accurate as hell. I put it away. I went deer hunting this past Saturday, Mr Buck popped into my world and the first shot misfired ! I had a second chance and dropped him, BUT - I believe I have an issue.

I'm very handy and have taken apart several older guns my Dad has given me to make sure they were clean and firing well. I have never taken apart a bolt action, but am confident with good direction, that I can successfully do so and adjust and or replace what might need it.

Where should I start this endeavor ?

243LPR
11-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Sounds like the bolt needs stripped and thoroughly cleaned. Also check firing pin protrusion. Handloads or factory ammo?

ABL1111
11-21-2016, 08:15 AM
It's Remington core-lokt 150 grain.
I'm assuming the bolt is spring loaded. I tried to locate clear directions/ photos to do this but wasn't successful. Any insight to do this properly would be appreciated...

Slowpoke Slim
11-21-2016, 08:54 AM
If the gun was stored for that many years, and perhaps it was stored "cocked", then there's a good chance that the firing pin spring may be tired. It wouldn't hurt to disassemble the bolt, clean it thoroughly and possibly replace the spring.

ABL1111
11-21-2016, 09:39 AM
I jumped on YouTube and saw (2) disassembly vids for the bolt. One thing that was concerning is that the thin washer that is near the bolt head/ front baffle/ bolt body is in different locations in the (2) vids;

- one vid shows it between the bolt head and the front baffle and the other shows it between the front baffle and the bolt body ( this is how mine is ).

Which is correct ?
Also, how can I confirm my spring needs to replaced ?
Lastly, with what should I clean and to what degree should I lube the bolt ?

Thx

olddav
11-21-2016, 11:29 AM
The thin wavey washer can go it either position, wont really effect the operation of the bolt. If you place the washer between the bolt head and the baffle it will help the bolt head retain any gun grease that you may apply to the lugs. I would clean the bolt throughly, lightly oil it with some gun oil then reassemble it. If you see alot of crud (gummed up oil or dirt) or if you find it dry (no oil) then you may have found the problem. Check it out and let us know what you find.

hereinaz
11-21-2016, 12:42 PM
I jumped on YouTube and saw (2) disassembly vids for the bolt. One thing that was concerning is that the thin washer that is near the bolt head/ front baffle/ bolt body is in different locations in the (2) vids;

- one vid shows it between the bolt head and the front baffle and the other shows it between the front baffle and the bolt body ( this is how mine is ).

Which is correct ?
Also, how can I confirm my spring needs to replaced ?
Lastly, with what should I clean and to what degree should I lube the bolt ?

Thx
Replacing the spring is the best way to test it... If it sat decades in the cocked position, then it could take a set.

You will probably get it back working by cleaning and lubing it, and replacing the spring.

Of course, that always assumes it was working before it was put away...

ABL1111
11-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Update - I took the bolt apart - it was dirty, not overly so, but I cleaned it well and lightly coated all with gun oil. The action looks very clean with minimal wear. I am going to take it to the range asap and fire a bit before I R/R the spring. If there is a misfire, I'll R/R the spring stat !

A quick question - I 'think' I figured out a way to de-power ( for lack of a better term ) the action without dry-firing. With no bullets, I lifted and pulled the bolt back and forward again, which puts gun in the fire position, then, I lifted the bolt, pulled trigger and put bolt back down and the trigger was now de-powered. Sound right ?

I have several deer guns and this one has quickly become a favorite. It is very accurate - I have the original Weaver scope - they are a perfect match for my needs...