PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Recoil Lug and Barrel Nut

DenverDave
11-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Looking for suggestions on where to get an aftermarket barrel nut and recoil lug. Getting an aftermarket barrel so I figured I would upgrade these parts as well.

The rifle is a model 10T, SA small shank. In XLR chassis

I have seen different size recoil lugs available. Can anyone suggest a the best size for use with XLR Chassis or is it just trial and error to find one that fits the best?

Thanks

MI223
11-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Northland shooters supply lug and nut fit well in a xlr element.

I am also sure any of the trued options will work fine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DenverDave
11-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Northland shooters supply lug and nut fit well in a xlr element.

I am also sure any of the trued options will work fine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. NSS seems to be the forerunner at the moment. Because I can get a nut, wrench, and lug all from them.

PTG offers a wide variety of lugs starting at .187" in size up to .5". Pretty wide range...

The SSS lug is .24"
NSS lug is .244"

Zero333
11-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Midway and brownells has them too.

DenverDave
11-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Midway and brownells has them too.

I have found they have the recoil lugs and wrenches but only Savage OEM Barrel nuts. Not the squared and trued upgrade models sold by PTG, SSS, Ecobe, and NSS.

DenverDave
11-19-2016, 08:27 PM
Has anyone used a Wheeler model 123038 barrel nut wrench with an aftermarket recoil lug, barrel nut? On a Short Action Model 10 w/ 4.4 spacing?

NSS states that:
"When Savage went to the 4.4″ short-action action-screw spacing, the clearances on most action wrenches became an issue. For shooters using one of the premium recoil lugs with the alignment pins, the clearance on the alignment pins became an interference issue. To correct this problem, Northland Shooters Supply has designed an action wrench called the NSS Action Wrench which corrects for these interference issues."

My Savage is a SA model 10 with 4.4 action spacing for centerfeed mags.

RC20
11-20-2016, 01:33 PM
I have both action lengths and the NSS action wrench works fine in both of them, not an issue.

the wrench has a 1/2 inch hole in both ends so you can put a breaker bar on it (if you get a new or used rifle that has a segmented nut)
Also works to use for the torque wrench (I follow the NSS recommendations , others disagree)

I agree on NSS for parts, for SSS you should look at the reports in Vendor Feedback first.

the Ranger
11-25-2016, 10:55 PM
I would like to state from experience that the PTG recoil lugs outer diameter is smaller than the diameter of the Savage action and the barrel nut, it results in a stepped rather than smooth appearance.

Zero333
11-26-2016, 09:32 AM
So far I only used Hollands recoil lugs...
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-lugs/recoil-lugs-prod6911.aspx

They're not fool proof like some others. The center pin was very long so I had to grind it down a little, and it's also very thin so it doesn't lock the recoil lug centered in receiver recess. Therefore it's a bit harder to line up when tightening the barrel nut. Last time I installed one I put the pin against the side of the recess and when tightening the barrel nut, the pin ended up shifting towards the center in the recess, and maybe by luck or by design once I thought I tightened the nut enough the pin was perfectly centered in the receiver recess.

The first 3 times I installed the Hollands recoil lug, I orientated the receiver so the recoil lug was sideways, then once I had the recoil lug centered I put a piece of steel bar under it to stop it from rotating when tightening the nut.

I know, my explanation sounds confusing, sorry. I though I would write this in case anyone else gets the Holland recoil lug and wonders how to center it and so it doesn't shift when tightening the barrel nut.

RC20
11-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Seems like a good reason to go with the NSS setup.