PDA

View Full Version : Pillar bedding action screw clearance

WV1951
11-19-2016, 03:12 PM
I just spent a couple of hours reading on pillar bedding through the search function, but didn't find an answer.
Apparently, the inside diameter of the pillars is larger than the 1/4" action screws. I say this this because most threads reference wrapping the action screws with a bit of tape to assure they are centered in the pillar when screwed to the action while bedding the pillars.
What I don't understand is why the inside of the pillars would not be just large enough(slightly more than 1/4") for the action screws to not have any "slop/play" to move around inside of the pillars. If the action screws just barely fit inside of the pillars, then no tape would be needed and the centering of the screws would be automatic. What am I missing?

drybean
11-19-2016, 03:25 PM
You do not want your action screws to act as a recoil lug

hereinaz
11-19-2016, 03:41 PM
You do not want your action screws to act as a recoil lug
This is exactly right, the only thing you want to stop the barreled action from rearward motion is The Recoil lug.

The purpose of pillar in the action is to make sure that the action has no movement up and down. When stocks were made exclusively of wood, the screws could compress the wood and become sloppy so that the action jumped around. If the action is jumping around, and never laying in the same position, then the accuracy will also jump around.

If you read up on Savages explanation of how they designed the Accu stock, then you will have an idea of the purpose of pillars and bedding of the stock to cradle the action so that it remains in the exact same position.

BillPa
11-19-2016, 04:37 PM
What I don't understand is why the inside of the pillars would not be just large enough(slightly more than 1/4") for the action screws to not have any "slop/play" to move around inside of the pillars. If the action screws just barely fit inside of the pillars, then no tape would be needed and the centering of the screws would be automatic. What am I missing?
After installing pillars I open them to 5/16" for screw shank clearance. As the others have said, you don't want it or them playing recoil lug. The only two parts of the screws which should make contact, it's shoulder on the pillar(s) and it's threads in the action.
Bill

WV1951
11-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the above replies. Makes complete sense now, but nothing I read previously referenced this thought whatsoever. A quick and easy answer to my question.