PDA

View Full Version : Buck down

thatguyshm
11-18-2016, 11:16 PM
So I wanted to brag somewhere, although I didn't take him with one of my savages, I am glad I used a 338 bullet. I used a Ruger m77 338 federal. I didn't have the most confidence my load dev for my 338-06. I ran out of time, but had one for the Ruger.

Took at 130 yards, one minute before legal hunting ended. I was watching some doe play and they suddenly acted funny. Through my scope I only saw the rack come in. I can't lie, I had a chance at a beautiful 8 pointer in the morning and rushed everything, missed the shot, and swore off hunting. Went back out and got this beast.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/745dfde65638cf0b0944ca3fe4c3f188.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/e6afb499142e546ba600d22c52b5192d.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Robinhood
11-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Nice. Enjoy the meat.

cowtownup
11-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Nice.. I like non-typical bucks...

thatguyshm
11-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks. You definitely don't see them like this in Maine often. We are assuming someone had illegally set up a food plot close by. Can't do anything like that in Maine. All the veteran hunters around here have already told me I'll never get another one like it but I'll do my best to try!

243LPR
11-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Don't know where in Maine you are but wife just showed me some pictures of a bruiser buck running the streets of downtown Presque Isle. You never know where they"ll show up.

thatguyshm
11-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Don't know where in Maine you are but wife just showed me some pictures of a bruiser buck running the streets of downtown Presque Isle. You never know where they"ll show up.
I'm in Unity, but I grew up right outside of PI. My buddy works for the PD up there, and hunts hard. He sent me this

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/6aca5279b99e535f379790d826affbcc.jpg

That is full on downtown. I remember when I was younger chasing a moose through town but that was the middle of summer, not during the rut.

swamphonkey
11-19-2016, 08:59 PM
That's a goodun for sure. Enjoy that cloud your on. We started rifle today. Morning was a blow out way too windy. Afternoon deer were everywhere. I just didn't see one that made me want to play in the water cleaning him. I wish we could just split them open and hang them for a week in a tree like you guys can. If I was you I would hang that buck in my front yard until spring. Heck I might even put lights shining up on him so everyone could see him. But around here someone would probably take him. Lol
That's going to be tuff to beat but you might I've been told that 3 times. Hopefully it will be 4.

thatguyshm
11-19-2016, 09:39 PM
That's a goodun for sure. Enjoy that cloud your on. We started rifle today. Morning was a blow out way too windy. Afternoon deer were everywhere. I just didn't see one that made me want to play in the water cleaning him. I wish we could just split them open and hang them for a week in a tree like you guys can. If I was you I would hang that buck in my front yard until spring. Heck I might even put lights shining up on him so everyone could see him. But around here someone would probably take him. Lol
That's going to be tuff to beat but you might I've been told that 3 times. Hopefully it will be 4.
Thank you all.

Haha I have trust issues, he's hanging in the garage, stays cool in there. I'm letting him hang until Wednesday, then I'll cape and process him. Only getting colder each day, so he'll keep great. I really want to see the damage I did too him, but have to wait. I think I am going to recover my bullet, I believe the skin kept it on the far side. Hit him behind the shoulder, went diagonally through him, saw it went through the abdominal lining but not the skin.

Can't wait.

tufrthnails
11-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Check him out. I love the kicker on the G2. Nice and wide. Ideas on score?

thatguyshm
11-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Check him out. I love the kicker on the G2. Nice and wide. Ideas on score?
I sent him out to be beetle cleaned for a skull mount. From everything I've read to score for B&C, it needs to be left to air dry for 60 days, so when it comes back I'll score him.

Depending on how you measure, main beam width was a strong 22", widest to widest was that kicker and it made him 23 1/4".

Beautiful animal and even better tasting.

Shm