PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 Trophy Hunter .308

birddog1
11-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone, I just joined the form today. I'm looking for a little help, I thinking about buying one of the package guns, A Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in .308. A local gun store has them on sale for $399. I see very positive reviews online about them but in asking around others are telling me I should go a different route, like a Remington model seven or something. Any opinions or thoughts on this price and package gun would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your help

Evlshnngns
11-17-2016, 12:47 PM
My trophy hunter .243 gets here tomorrow. It will be my third savage, I hope it keeps up with the others.

SageRat Shooter
11-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Most guys really prefer a certain brand of rifle. Remington is our military rifle provider especially in the 30 cal range. That has resulted in a laundry list of aftermarket parts etc... I personally am a Savage guy because they were the only company that made a lefty bolt gun 30+ years ago (one that I could afford anyway). Now, I stay with Savage because I can pretty much do all of my own work. Barrels are really easy to change out because of the "barrel nut". And there is a lot more aftermarket parts becoming available because a lot of guys are building their own semi-custom rifles off of Savage actions now.

I have the trophy hunter in 30-06 for my deer and Elk gun and it shoots 1 moa out to 200 yards (farthest I have shot it or will shoot it at elk or deer).

And I just bought another trophy hunter in 270 Win, but for the action only, and will be building it into a 260 rem as my long range target/varmint/predator gun.

Just my .02

jpdown
11-17-2016, 01:45 PM
I tried two Remington model 7's in 260 and 308. I could never get either rifle, even with hand-load's and glass bedding to consistently shoot under 1" groups. I've never had a problem with getting Savage rifles and factory sporter barrels to shoot 0.75" or less with hand-loads after bedding the action and recoil lug area. I'm not a big fan of the Savage TH Nikon BDC package scope and mounts. But they are easy to sell as new take-offs.

birddog1
11-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Thank you for the replies. I've heard a lot of good things about savage bolt action rifle's. Right now, my only savage is a 17 HMR but it's very accurate. A local guy is trying to sell me his model seven and 7 mm 08 that has never been fired. But he says he doesn't know how old it is and has no box or anything with it so I'm a little skeptical.

Steelhead
11-17-2016, 04:44 PM
My 11TH in 260rem was a pretty good shooter

birddog1
11-17-2016, 05:41 PM
I ended up buying the savage, too good of a deal to pass up. Not only was it $399 but there is also a $75 rebate on it as well. Thanks for all the help.

jpdown
11-17-2016, 06:18 PM
I've got a Savage 16 LWH in 7mm-08. It shoots 0.5" MOA with hand-loads. It has the same synthetic stock used on the Savage trophy hunter. I recommend bedding the recoil lug area with Devcon Plastic Steel epoxy from the local hardware store. Also put bedding in the forearm cavity in front of the recoil lug. Use neutral Kiwi shoe polish for the release agent. I would also replace the cheap plastic trigger guard with a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard. Call Savage Arms parts to order. The barrel and tang should be floated and not touching the stock. These simple steps will usually improve the accuracy potential of a Savage rifle. Add a little Krylon webbing paint to the stock and your friends will think you've got an expensive new custom rig. Have fun and good shooting.

birddog1
11-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Thank you. I will give that a try.

I've got a Savage 16 LWH in 7mm-08. It shoots 0.5" MOA with hand-loads. It has the same synthetic stock used on the Savage trophy hunter. I recommend bedding the recoil lug area with Devcon Plastic Steel epoxy from the local hardware store. Also put bedding in the forearm cavity in front of the recoil lug. Use neutral Kiwi shoe polish for the release agent. I would also replace the cheap plastic trigger guard with a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard. Call Savage Arms parts to order. The barrel and tang should be floated and not touching the stock. These simple steps will usually improve the accuracy potential of a Savage rifle. Add a little Krylon webbing paint to the stock and your friends will think you've got an expensive new custom rig. Have fun and good shooting.

birddog1
11-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Can someone recommend an aftermarket stock that will work for this? It looks like Hogue has a few but I'm not sure if the barrel and action just drop in

Robinhood
11-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Manners MCS-T or something from Gary Canes.

Newtosavage
11-18-2016, 03:16 PM
I tried two Remington model 7's in 260 and 308. I could never get either rifle, even with hand-load's and glass bedding to consistently shoot under 1" groups. I've never had a problem with getting Savage rifles and factory sporter barrels to shoot 0.75" or less with hand-loads after bedding the action and recoil lug area. I'm not a big fan of the Savage TH Nikon BDC package scope and mounts. But they are easy to sell as new take-offs.

This.

jpdown
11-18-2016, 04:46 PM
My understanding is the Houge stocks are a little on the heavy side. Since the Savage Trophy Hunter you purchased is a Savage SA, CenterFeed (CF), Bottom Bolt Release (BBR), it will fit any Savage factory or aftermarket SA, CF (4.40" spacing) stock with blind or DBM inlet. If you want walnut or laminated, take a look at what Boyd's Gunstock has to offer. If you want composite, upgrade the stock you have as mentioned above, or look at a Bell & Carlson Classic Sporter stock. It depends on if you want a hunting, varmint or tactical style stock. Lot's of stock choices for the Savage SA, CF.

Robinhood
11-18-2016, 05:11 PM
It depends on if you want a hunting, varmint or tactical style stock.

Bingo was his name O.

birddog1
11-18-2016, 06:15 PM
My understanding is the Houge stocks are a little on the heavy side. Since the Savage Trophy Hunter you purchased is a Savage SA, CenterFeed (CF), Bottom Bolt Release (BBR), it will fit any Savage factory or aftermarket SA, CF (4.40" spacing) stock with blind or DBM inlet. If you want walnut or laminated, take a look at what Boyd's Gunstock has to offer. If you want composite, upgrade the stock you have as mentioned above, or look at a Bell & Carlson Classic Sporter stock. It depends on if you want a hunting, varmint or tactical style stock. Lot's of stock choices for the Savage SA, CF.

thank you. I want a hunting style stock and I'm open to wood or laminate or as mentioned, upgrading the current stock if that's the best route.

Benmuncie
11-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Check the classifieds here under Savage Firearm Parts. tulsaburnside is selling laminate and solid wood stocks for $100 each. You will have a hard time finding a better price.