PDA

View Full Version : FRUSTRATION: Bushnell Scope broke and can't get a proper replacement - help!

fmckinnon
11-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Hey Gang:

Found this forum googling for Savage Axis scopes. Here's my story and hope someone can help.

I bought the Savage Axis .308 combo from Dick's Sporting Goods for my son this past Christmas, 2015. It came with the standard Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. We never shot the rifle until last month when it was time for gun season for deer. While sighting in the rifle, the recticle in the scope broke after 3 shots - you could see the crosshairs dangling. All we'd done is adjusted about 20 clicks to try and get 3-4".

Been trying to get a proper replacement from Bushnell ever since. The guys there are super nice but can't seem to send me the correct scope and my son has lost the first month of deer season as a result.

On the AXIS, there is not a rail - it's a fixed mount with only one notch for the rings to mount to. I guess Bushnell doesn't make, or is out of stock, on the original scope, so they have now UPS 2nd Day air me two differnet scopes, neither of which fit.

Same issue every time - I take off the top half of the rings, set the scope down, and in order to get the front ring to screw down, I can't get the scope pushed far enough forward. The tube isn't quite long enough. The back part of the scope is pushed as far forward as possible, flush against the back rings (which mount fine), but the front ring won't fit over the scope because it's too short.

I'm pulling my hair out here and I don't know how to get a scope that will definitely fit this and have about given up on Bushnell. I keep asking them to just send the same original scope or since they make Savage Axis, to go into their inventory and pull off a scope --- but they can't seem to get this right and I've lost a month of hunting as a result.

See attached pic - on this pic, this is the newest replacement Bushnell sent - it's maybe a 1/2" too short. To be clear -- the mounts DO NOT MOVE or SLIDE forward or backward they are fixed with only ONE notch for the rings to mount to, so the length of the tube is critical.

http://www.fredmckinnon.com/media/scope.jpg

floyman
11-17-2016, 11:15 AM
You need to get the one piece rail or get the weaver extensions. The weaver extensions are the cheapest route and allow you to mount a shorter tube scope. All aftermarket scopes are shorter unless you go to a longer range scope

floyman
11-17-2016, 11:17 AM
I believe the weaver part number is 402 or 402m

30-06shooter
11-17-2016, 12:19 PM
We got 4 shots through my sons 30-06 axis before the Chinese Bushnell scope failed. I went to Walmart and exchanged the scope for a different model Bushnell.

fmckinnon
11-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Man I love a good forum. this is exactly the help I need.
Is this the part that would work: They have it at our Dick's in town I could have it in 30 minute:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13066658&kw=weaver+savage+axis+mount&origkw=weaver+savage+axis+mount&redirectfrmcatfam=true&frmSearch=true

I assume you just unscrew the star screws on the fixed mount and put this one there instead, right?
Just called my local Dick's Sporting Goods - they have in stock.

pisgah
11-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Is this the part that would work: They have it at our Dick's in town I could have it in 30 minute:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13066658&kw=weaver+savage+axis+mount&origkw=weaver+savage+axis+mount&redirectfrmcatfam=true&frmSearch=true

I assume you just unscrew the star screws on the fixed mount and put this one there instead, right?

I believe that base would leave you with the same problem you have now. You need either the exact scope you began with, or a one-piece rail base that will allow you to mount any scope.

Robinhood
11-17-2016, 01:39 PM
The exact scope may be a pos too. Take an upgrade or purchase an upgrade.

sharpshooter
11-17-2016, 01:43 PM
If you reverse the bases you have, you can gain about 1/2".

floyman
11-17-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm sure thy have it in stock. They are basically just longer than the factory bases which allow you to fit a shorter scope. I have them on my rifle and they work perfect. I'm sure part number is 402 and 402m is matte black. You just undo the base screws and put the new ones on easy as that. Make sure to add some blue loc tite

floyman
11-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Should look like this

guyhttps://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477201842/weaver-top-mount-extension-scope-base-402

fmckinnon
11-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Got it - took minutes to install. Works like a charm. Thanks guys - you told me in 3 hours what I've been trying to get Bushnell to accomplish in a month.

floyman
11-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Got it - took minutes to install. Works like a charm. Thanks guys - you told me in 3 hours what I've been trying to get Bushnell to accomplish in a month.

Good to hear man!! [emoji1303] hopefully can get some hunting done now!

243LPR
11-18-2016, 10:11 PM
One of the reasons I've sworn off ANYTHING Bushnell.

FW Conch
11-19-2016, 04:49 PM
I've never had a problem mounting a Bushnell scope on a Savage.

The only thing I would swear off is those bases & rings that came with the package set up.

But I would never be caught dead buying the package anyway.

Sad thing is, it might not be in the FAQ's, but the warning is all over this site in plenty other places.

ohihunter2014
11-20-2016, 12:30 PM
okay this is going to make me sound like a giant butthole but its not meant to be. for deer hunting or any hunting for that matter I don't get why people feel the need to be cheap. Im cheap because I have a crappy paying job so I buy the best I can and when I purchased my 2 savage axis rifles with the cheap scope I tried it and even on a 223rem the scope wouldn't hold zero or track when the turrets were turned so it was taken off and thrown away. we owe it to animals to have the best gear possible to make the only shot we have at taking its life the best we can and that means best gear for the application.

my rifles are now wearing either burris z rings or Leopold rifleman rings and vortex crossfire 2 scopes. bushnell is the biggest joke in the industry when it comes to stuff like this. buy a $1k scope from them and they gravel at your feet but have anything under $500 and they don't care. I also junked the bushnell bases that came with the gun because they were crap and went with a weaver 1pc rail for $20. you set that 308 off a few times and when the time comes for that deer to be shot the scope will fail. I had a bushnell shotgun scope break after I sighted it in and I shot a deer with it and ended up gut shooting it because the scope failed. the rubber o ring fell out and the glass fell out and bushnell said oh well.

tell bushnell stick their scope, buy a weaver 1pc base for $20 some weaver grandslam or leupold rifleman rings because eventually those cheap bushnell rings will wear out and fail and upgrade the scope to something better. :)

Hotolds442
11-20-2016, 05:31 PM
The title of this thread should be more along the lines of "Frustration: I paid an extra $100 for a $30.00 scope and $10.00 rings and bases"
The scope that comes with the package rifles is the same scope you can find on the shelf at Wal-Mart in a blister pack for $30.00.
The plastic packaging is of higher quality than the scope.

And what's up with the automatic hyperlinks to non-advertisers websites?

mike06
11-23-2016, 08:24 PM
I got a EGW 1 piece pictinney rail from amazon and some weaver 4 screw mounts works great.

godale
12-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I've never had a problem mounting a Bushnell scope on a Savage.

The only thing I would swear off is those bases & rings that came with the package set up.

But I would never be caught dead buying the package anyway.

Sad thing is, it might not be in the FAQ's, but the warning is all over this site in plenty other places.
i couldnt agree more. i have a box with those scope and rings packages too. the scopes are really just door stoppers.