PDA

View Full Version : Remove anyone?

thatguyshm
11-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Hey there,

Not entirely sure which subforum to post this in, but I'm thinking about tearing apart I model 700 I have sitting in the back of the safe, a pretty basic 7mm Rem Mag that I am thinking about rebarreling with a Remage conversion, just to save on gun smithing charges. Does anyone have any experience with this transformation? I think I'd stick with a 7mm RM, just put a bit more accurate, new barrel on it. I'd like to get it set up to launch the 175 grain class bullets.

Plans are 26" barrel, laminate stock from rifle stocks, timney Calvin two stage trigger, pillar and glass bedded. Plans to keep it as a hunting rifle.

Any advice?
Thanks
-SHM

clintsrv
11-17-2016, 08:57 PM
The conversion is pretty straight forward.
The recoil lug can be a little tricky to line up perfect. You could pin it to receiver or notch the receiver and use a Savage lug.
The stock may need to be relieved for the barrel nut. That will be pretty easy though.
The parts you list would make a great rifle for sure.
The tools you use for barrel replacement on your Savages will be the same used on the 700.
It does look a little funny having the nut on the 700 but that's not a big deal.
Aftermarket parts for Remington's far exceed Savages.

If you can get an order in contact Apache for your barrel.

thatguyshm
11-17-2016, 10:31 PM
The conversion is pretty straight forward.
The recoil lug can be a little tricky to line up perfect. You could pin it to receiver or notch the receiver and use a Savage lug.
The stock may need to be relieved for the barrel nut. That will be pretty easy though.
The parts you list would make a great rifle for sure.
The tools you use for barrel replacement on your Savages will be the same used on the 700.
It does look a little funny having the nut on the 700 but that's not a big deal.
Aftermarket parts for Remington's far exceed Savages.

If you can get an order in contact Apache for your barrel.

I had to relieve my wife's 6mm BR Microfit stock for the nut as well. I figured if I was going to go that route, just get the new action wrench with recoil lug aligner from NSS.

Jim is rather busy, I had him do a 300 WM barrel for me and it ran much beyond the quoted time. It's well worth it, but I have gone several various from Jim with Bison, so i will probably go that route. Very accurate rifles.

Don't the new Remington's have the barrel nut? Smooth and rather small but it's there I thought. Seems everyone is going the way of the barrel nut.

SHM

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

clintsrv
11-17-2016, 10:45 PM
The Remington 783 uses a barrel nut. I'm not sure about anything else from that rifle.
The barrel nut design is very profitable while still being quite effective.

Jim does stay really busy.