PDA

View Full Version : Savage Long Action Project in 6.5 grendel

largerthan9
11-14-2016, 06:30 PM
So, I picked up a savage 111 for very cheap, and am toying with the idea of swapping the barrel and stock with a custom Shilen savage barrel and a MDT LSS LA chassis (Only compatible with AICS LA Mags) . My problem is that I am not that familiar with bolt actions and how well they feed. My idea is to use the long action magazines if the Grendel cartridge can be successfully loaded into it. has anyone here attempted to load a long action magazine with Grendel? My option from MDT is their polymer mags or AICS mags. I would like to use this platform as base for other size rounds (kinda how my AR's are)
Thanks Dan.

Oxn316
11-15-2016, 12:10 AM
In my opinion it's not going to feed well at all. A short cartridge like the Grendel has problems feeding from a regular short action mag. There is a company that makes mag inserts to help with feeding but it's still not full proof. I think a long action would only make the problem worse.

FW Conch
11-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Same answer as on 6.5 Grendel forum.

Make that 111 a 280AI ;-))

Edit: Where are My manners...Welcome to Savage Shooters :-)

largerthan9
11-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Same answer as on 6.5 Grendel forum.

Make that 111 a 280AI ;-))

Edit: Where are My manners...Welcome to Savage Shooters :-)

Thanks for the advice gents. Great to be on board ;)

earl39
11-15-2016, 05:50 PM
The grendel feeds fine from a short action with the correct magazine but you will have problems getting it to feed from a long action magazine if you can get it to feed at all

moecarama
11-15-2016, 08:41 PM
If you are not completely sold on a MDT chassis; select a stock have it inletted to accept CDI long action to short action bottom metal.