PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone put a Choate varmint or sniper stock on their model 12?

groundhogsniper
11-14-2016, 05:33 PM
I've been looking at the Choate stocks and both the varmint stock and sniper stock are not compatible with the newer model 12's with the bottom bolt release:mad:. Has anyone tried anyway and got it to work? I like the looks of the stocks and they are very affordable.

Wide Glide
11-14-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't think they are compatible with bottom bolt release but CDI offers a service converting bottom bolt release to topen bolt released for about $60 plus shipping. I had 1 done and was very happy with the service and result.
I have another rifle that I put the ultimate sniper stock on and it is pretty convenient at the range because the angled foregrip makes for easy smooth vertical adjustment but I wouldn't use it for anything else it weighs a ton and I'm not one usually bothered by weight.

For $70 more Bell and Carlson offers a stock that is compatible with bottom bolt release and is an all-round much nicer stock

Don-T
11-16-2016, 12:16 PM
I concur, the aluminum bedding V-block is nice also. The fact is that it weighs a bit over 7 pounds by itself! Add in about 4 pounds for the action and scope and another 8 pounds for a bull barrel and you've get a 20 pound lump that's only useable from a bench.

groundhogsniper
11-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Wow I didn't realize it weighed so much. This is a 204 so it is used for groundhogs. I don't walk much at all with it but 20 pounds is still too much for a hunting rifle. Wide Glide, could you post a link to the Bell and Carlson you're referring to?

Wide Glide
11-16-2016, 02:38 PM
This one (https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1088) it is for detachable mag bottom bolt release.

You also have the option of having the action converted to top bolt release for about 75 bucks

Robinhood
11-17-2016, 01:41 AM
Wow I didn't realize it weighed so much. This is a 204 so it is used for groundhogs. I don't walk much at all with it but 20 pounds is still too much for a hunting rifle. Wide Glide, could you post a link to the Bell and Carlson you're referring to?

It will be heavy but I'm not sure 20 lbs is accurate. A factory LRPV 223 with a 26 inch heavy fluted barrel is 11 lbs with an extended aluminum bedding block. Even with a 3 lb scope and mount setup you're in the 14lb range.