PDA

View Full Version : I've seen it all now!

Pages : [1] 2

ultramag44
08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, okay, so there was this group of 'characters' @ the range. They were shooting a rifle chambered for .50 BMG.

The rings were those $8.00 Chinese wonders, and a ...(dramatic pause) Baraska scope! :D ::) ???

I was waiting for the scope to spit its insides w/ every shot! They didn't shoot to many shots, and went long intervals between shots.

5spd
08-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Cracks me up, spending 2k on a gun and a $40 scope & ring set then whine when is falls apart... :D

trappst
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
'characters' @ the range.

aka - Morons

slaroy
08-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Should have challenged them to a "friendly" shooting match to show them what your lowly little savage (insert cal.) could do...

pa hog
08-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Cracks me up, spending 2k on a gun and a $40 scope & ring set then whine when is falls apart... :D

Never understood that philosophy..... ;D And you see it all the time a 1100.00 Savage FT/R with a Tasco or Barska on it???

BillPa
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Ah, after 40+ years of this stuff every time I think I've seen it all every now and then someone surprises me. A few of the more memorable ones.

Two years ago at the range I looked and had to take a second look at a guy's rifle. Instead of the top half of the rear ring there was a SS hose clamp. The reason? He lost it, didn't want to buy a new set of rings for just one part.

Watched a guy struggle getting one sighted in. His beffudlement? When he adjusted the scope left or right the shot went higher or lower, up or down it went left or right.

One guy was complaining his new scope was bad. When he adjusted the power to 50,100,200 and that "other mark" the target only cleared up or got blurry, it don't seem to change the power much at all.

Another was jamming, pounding and cursing trying to chamber a round all the time blaming Remington and their "bad" ammo. There was only one small problem, the rifle was a 270 Winchester, the ammo, 280 Remington. I tried to explain the difference, but "Is not, the 280 is the same thing , just a heavier bullet,don't you think I know what I'm doing" ? ( Nope, didn't THINK that at all)

On the top ten list, one of the 'smiths I did work for dropped off a rifle to be "rebedded". The customer decided to do it himself the first time around.... with black roof patch.

Nothing ever made was made foolproof, nature just evolved a better fool to deal with it. ;D

Bill

duhast
08-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Another was jamming, pounding and cursing trying to chamber a round all the time blaming Remington and their "bad" ammo. There was only one small problem, the rifle was a 270 Winchester, the ammo, 280 Remington.

I wonder if he remembers you or if he went on to win a Darwin Award...

stevec
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
My inlaws brought me an obviously "messed up" winchester chambered in 300WSM. brand new, could not get it to chamber 300 winmag ammo no matter how hard they tried. (and trust me...... THEY TRIED HARD!!!!!!)

It was not an easy fix, trying to convince them that WSM and WinMag are NOT "the same thing"

Steve

Nefarioud
08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
What makes me smile is the absolute resolve of some people. On three separate occasions I have born the brunt of people's ridicule out at one of the most popular shooting spots in the area.

The emphasis of the ridicule? "That dude has an $1800 scope on top of a $600 gun" or "why in the **** would you put a Nightforce on a Savage?" and once it was a guy with a Barska scoped McMillan Tac 308 (given to him by his father-in-law) saying "scopes are quite a racket, and I'm not falling for it, glass is glass" and proceeding to berate my intelligence for having those "$500" Nightforces on my three savages.

What really cause me anxiety is that these people are ARMED. No wonder guns draw the ire of the non-shooting public; there's no minimum IQ required to participate. At least with motorcycles in my state you have to ride around some cones and whatnot before you're allowed to venture out in public.

BTW

Nothing ever made was made foolproof, nature just evolved a better fool to deal with it. ;D

Best Line EVER!

Oh and I hear the if you buy a new Tac-50 right now for $7599 they're throwing in a NXS 8.5-32 X 56 for free! Apparently word of the Barska on the .50 travels fast.

Jamie
08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Watch a guy curse and throw a fit because he couldn't load his rifle. Seems he walked in the pawn shop and said "I am looking for a 7mm rifle." Out he walked with a 7mm Mauser. It took a half hour to get him to understand that 7mm Rem Mag is not the same size. "But they are both 7mm, it has to fit."

I currently work part time at a local gunshop and a fellow walked in one night looking for a scope to go on his .308 Win. I ask what rifle is it figuring I can use the rifle value to get a ballpark figure he wants to spend on a scope. He said it was a HS so I started showing him some Vx-3' and similar. Told me they were too expensive and didn't want to spend more than $150 total for a base, rings and scope for it.

Then there is the nightly question.

" 'I have a revolver, will these .38 specials fit?' 'Not sure, what model revolver do you have?' 'UH, it is a silver one.' "

5spd
08-09-2010, 11:49 PM
'I have a revolver, will these .38 specials fit?' 'Not sure, what model revolver do you have?' 'UH, it is a silver one.' "

You mean to say you don't sell silver bullets for a silver gun??........ :D :D

ultramag44
08-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Here's another one.

A nice, polite kid (early 20's) was next to me one day @ the range. He could not zero his rifle (one of those package deals, a 3-9 scope already mounted on a 30/06 sporter). Then I noticed he was actually just turning the caps on the scope turrets instead of moving the X hair!

How to do this w/o embarrasing him? :-\ I casually walked up, admired his rifle, then asked him how it was shooting. While he was talking; I removed one cap and clicked the turret a few clicks. Then I said: "Ah, they put a scope with click adjustments instead of the friction type."

He smiled, I smiled...I went back to my bench. He got his rifle zeroed. :)

duhast
08-10-2010, 01:22 AM
How to do this w/o embarrasing him? :-\ I casually walked up, admired his rifle, then asked him how it was shooting. While he was talking; I removed one cap and clicked the turret a few clicks. Then I said: "Ah, they put a scope with click adjustments instead of the friction type."

You are a good person...

Just out of curiosity, were they 'knowing' smiles, did he know he'd been busted but that you let him save face?

uad7116
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I work at a hardware store that has a large sporting goods dept. and I cant count the number of people that come in to get their guns bore sighted and expect it to be ready to go hunting the next morning, they all ask "is it dead on at 100" and I always inform them that they need to go shot their guns with the ammo they are going to hunt with and confirm where the bullet is hitting and bore sighting just gets you on the paper.

And my favorite was last year the night before deer opener a gentleman comes in about 7:00 pm and buys a new scope and wants it bore sighted so he can go hunting in the morning, so I bore sight it and inform him he should go shoot it first to see where he's hitting cause I'm just getting him on paper, he tells me "he's did it this way 100's of times and if all I can do is get him on paper he wants the other guy to do it so he will be dead on at 100".

Slowpoke Slim
08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I was gun manager for a Sportsman's Warehouse,

Oh man could I pass on the stories...

The lady that wanted to buy a rifle for her husband for Christmas. Was in with her husband the week before looking at them. Didn't know which one it was, was PISSED at us for not knowing which one when she described it as, "The Brown One".

The guy that demanded to see the manager (me) when my associate didn't know which ammo to sell him. He was just asking for "300 mag" ammo. The associate (and then me) tried to explain that there were many different "300 mag"s in the world and we needed to know WHICH one he had. He walked out yelling the whole way that we were all a bunch of dumbasses.

The lady that walked up to me at the counter and pulled a LOADED 38 snubnose out of her purse and pointed it AT MY FACE, and asked if we had a holster to fit this gun. And yes, from 3 feet away, I could plainly see that it was loaded.

Good times...

Ya just gotta love some people...

EFBell
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I like to stand nearby and listen sometimes at the counter when an oblivious part time hack is trying to sell someone on the merits of a given type rifle, caliber or scope etc. Sometimes you just have to walk away in amazement. Other times it's good to hear someone talk that knows what they are talking about. Sure looks like the percentage's favor the former, not the latter.

duhast
08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
The guy that demanded to see the manager (me) when my associate didn't know which ammo to sell him. He was just asking for "300 mag" ammo. The associate (and then me) tried to explain that there were many different "300 mag"s in the world and we needed to know WHICH one he had. He walked out yelling the whole way that we were all a bunch of dumbasses.

See, the way my brain works is that I would have said "300 mag? Sure, coming right up...", pulled several boxes of ammo, plunked them down in front of the fool and then said "Here ya go. We got 300 Winchester mag, 300 Remington mag, 300 Norma mag, 300 Weatherby mag, 300 H&H mag,.. which one you want? Or do you want them all?"

But there's a reason I'm not in a service industry. The customer is not always right, and is often a frikkin' idiot.

ultramag44
08-10-2010, 06:21 PM

You are a good person...

Just out of curiosity, were they 'knowing' smiles, did he know he'd been busted but that you let him save face?

Yes, they were they 'knowing' smiles. Since he was acting right, not cussing or tossing a fit, it seemed the best way to 'help' him w/o making him feel stupid.

dsculley
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Several years ago my son and I were in a gun shop when a guy came in looking for a bigger rifle. He was mad because he had shot at a deer at 300 yards earlier that day, and according to him he knew that he hit the deer but the round did not drop it nor was there a blood trail to follow. He was shooting a 270. The clerk asked him which 30 caliber he wanted. Well, he wanted something bigger than that. The clerk then told him that the largest rifles he carried were all 30 calibers. He then stood several rounds on the counter, a .308, a 30-06, a 300 WinMag, and finally a 300 Weatherby magnum. In less than 15 minutes the clerk had a sale for a new 300 Weatherby Magnum, a Leupold scope, Rings and a box of ammo. I still wish i could have been there the first time he squeezed a round off.

Slowpoke Slim
08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
duhast,

I even pulled different 300 mag cartridges out of their ammo boxes and showed him the difference in the sizes. Offered to hold a box of each and have him go get his rifle and bring it in to the store and I'd TELL him which one he had.

Boils down to he was just too proud to admit he didn't know what he had...

Or the guy that bought a new Sako stainless in 300 WSM and a Leupold scope, then came back in the next day PISSED that it wouldn't fire. Raising all kinds of hell and demanding his money back, how can we sell a defective rifle, etc, etc, I look the rifle over and can't find one thing wrong with it. I even go get a box of cartridges off the shelf and (GULP!) feed them through the magazine, into the chamber, and eject them all just fine (in the freight area in the back of the store, with the rifle pointed at the backup diesel power generator). Everything seems fine, then I ask him to bring me his ammo, and he'd bought 300 SAUM ammo instead of 300 WSM ammo.