PDA

View Full Version : hearing protection?

Pages : [1] 2

LongRange
11-13-2016, 09:35 AM
are any of you guys using the in ear or ear bud type electronic hearing protection? id like to hear what brand your using and what you think about them.

wbm
11-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Me too. Already have a lot of hearing loss and have been reluctant to use that type of protection.

LongRange
11-13-2016, 11:03 AM
WHAT?? J/K LOL!!

i seen several guys at our match yesterday using them but we had a couple of shoot offs and the guys using them were all gone before i got a chance to ask about them....we had 42 shooters yesterday...we got started about 10 after sighters and didnt finish until 3-330...at the end of the day my head felt like it was in a vise so its time for something different/new.

m12lrs
11-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Me too. Already have a lot of hearing loss and have been reluctant to use that type of protection.

Yep. I can't hear $&!#! We never thought about hearing protection back in the day

Thought about getting a walkers game ear for hunting. It is supposed to protect your hearing too!

Any input would be appreciated

wbm
11-13-2016, 11:25 AM
We never thought about hearing protection back in the day

Did try out a friends Walker Game Ear several years ago. He said they worked great but he was 87 at the time and his hearing was worse than mine is now so who knows.

Steelhead
11-13-2016, 01:34 PM
I have some sure fire in ears.
Great for pistols but stuff like 357's, hot 38supers and big boomers they're not enough.
Would never consider any in ear for rifles unless was also planning on using muffs also.
Im deaf enough from years working with farm equipment and heavy equipment.

m12lrs
11-13-2016, 03:27 PM
I use these at.the range. They work great for me. I just.can't get a proper.cheek weld with muffs

http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

bearcatrp
11-13-2016, 04:54 PM
I was in artillery for 8 years out of career in the army. Ear plugs didn't do squat around 155 mm guns. But have looked at different types of electronic ear buds bud get mixed reviews. Now is a good time to contact your legislature and push for supressors (hearing act). With trump in we have a good shot removing suppressors from NFA and hope to drop down prices.

Rick_W
11-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Just remember that with anything you get what you pay for. The electronic circuitry in the less expensive stuff does not seem to shut down the circuitry quick enough from what I've read.

LongRange
11-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Just remember that with anything you get what you pay for. The electronic circuitry in the less expensive stuff does not seem to shut down the circuitry quick enough from what I've read.

I've read the same thing...I see prices from about $150 or so up to $1500+ but before I spend more than $2-$300 I'll just use muffs.

I've also seen some that look like ear buds that come with the phones and you ware the electronic part around your neck anyone know anything about those type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big honkin jeep
11-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Nothing electronic but the bulk pack -33db foam plugs I bought a couple of years ago seem to get the job done.

m12lrs
11-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Yep

I keep.several pairs in my range.bag

The surefire.fits better for me though

Either is better than muffs

DrThunder88
11-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Do new electronic ones have some sort of aperture that physically opens and shuts? I had a cheap pair a while back that just had a microphone on the outside and a speaker on the inside. The volume of the speaker could not exceed the level set by the knob irrespective of how loud the sound detected by the microphones was. Timing was absolutely immaterial. If there was some massive delay between a sound reaching the microphone and being reproduced by the speaker I could see it being at least annoying and at most disorienting.

DenverDave
11-13-2016, 08:43 PM
I use sure fire EP8 plugs and Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic muffs. With this combo I can hear impacts on steel, converse at normal volumes and shoot (and be around) loud guns with muzzle brakes. The muffs are low profile and don't get in the way. The concussion of a neighbors brake is what troubled me most in the past. Good muff plug combo takes care of that.

m12lrs
11-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Love my sure fires

Hate me a.muzzle brake. I have them and don't use them. I will just move or.leave when someone shows.up next to me with a large caliber muzzle.brake. the shock wave just destroys my concentration

DenverDave
11-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Love my sure fires

Hate me a.muzzle brake. I have them and don't use them. I will just move or.leave when someone shows.up next to me with a large caliber muzzle.brake. the shock wave just destroys my concentration

Agreed they are annoying. I don't shoot at crowded places these days. Joined a rifle club in the middle of nowhere. %99 of the time it's just me and my buddy on the range.

rjtfroggy
11-14-2016, 08:07 AM
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/eb15le.html

I have been using these for over a year and a half don't leave home with out them.
No more banging muffs on stock or screwing up head position when trying to shoot.
Yes they are expensive but how much do you spend on your gun or reloading or driving back and forth to matches. Remember once your hearing is lost there is no coming back, and I lost enough already between shooting and riding the side of a fire apparatus for over 20 years. HUH ? What did you say? Part of my daily vocabulary.

DenverDave
11-14-2016, 06:06 PM
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/eb15le.html

I have been using these for over a year and a half don't leave home with out them.
No more banging muffs on stock or screwing up head position when trying to shoot.
Yes they are expensive but how much do you spend on your gun or reloading or driving back and forth to matches. Remember once your hearing is lost there is no coming back, and I lost enough already between shooting and riding the side of a fire apparatus for over 20 years. HUH ? What did you say? Part of my daily vocabulary.

Do you use those solo? No muffs at all? I have tried a handful of plugs, granted nothing as high end as those, and found that for shooting pistol only plugs are fine. With hi power rifles or any rifle with a brake I think the muff + plug combo to be essential.

My hearing is still good. But I have shot quite a lot and been to many loud concerts, not to mention the NYC subway and other noise hazards of big city living, so I am careful with my hearing these days now that I am in my 30's. That's why I advocate plugs with a nice slim, tight fitting, set of muffs (pun intended) as well.

rjtfroggy
11-14-2016, 06:21 PM
I use them as stand alone protection. They have the same numbers as electronic muffs but in a micro size ie; plugs.
They are used for L E and the military over in the war zones (what I was told) hence the BLAST protection, very similar to what musicians use when playing during concerts.
Work for both rifle and hand gun.

Use mine during matches where there are 15 guns going off at a time so far so good.

DenverDave
11-14-2016, 06:48 PM
I use them as stand alone protection. They have the same numbers as electronic muffs but in a micro size ie; plugs.
They are used for L E and the military over in the war zones (what I was told) hence the BLAST protection, very similar to what musicians use when playing during concerts.
Work for both rifle and hand gun.

Use mine during matches where there are 15 guns going off at a time so far so good.

That's good to know. The DB level protection offered in the electric muffs I use- Howard Leight Impact Sport (NRR 22) don't provide sufficient protection. But are slim and don't get in the way. I pair them with Surefire EP 7 plugs (NRR 27). Individually neither provide enough protection IMO. Combined, however, for a total of NRR 47 Protection, I fell very safely protected. Might sound overkill but with the electric muff I hear everything and never get a ringer from blast.

Those plugs do look sweet but I feel safe with my current set up and frankly can't afford to drop that kinda cash at the moment. It would be nice to run plugs only but I would be afraid of loosing them. Hopefully with a better financial future I will have the chance to give them a shot. I appreciate you pointing those out.