PDA

View Full Version : Left handed stock on a right handed bolt?

stash
08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
While waiting to pick up my Savage 12 VLP DBM I was thinking. Being left handed I have always used a right handed bolt “and I am used to it”, and my new Savage 12 is right handed. I just came back from Gander Mountain and was looking at a Savage 17 with a thumbhole stock. Boy that thumbhole is nice. Anyway IS possible to get a left handed thumbhole stock and put it on a right handed bolt? Just curious, it would be for experimenting. Since I am used to the right handed bolt a left handed thumbhole stock is interesting. ?
I could call Savage and tell them NOT to slot the stock for the bolt for a left hand stock---
Thanks

Stashu

Nor Cal Mikie
08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't think there would be any "factory" stock set up that way?? I went the other way. I ordered up a right hand thumbhole stock cut for a left hand action. Me being right handed I figured it might work out that I could keep my right hand in the thumbhole and work the bolt with my left (free) hand. Anythings worth a try. I'll know before too long. ;)

Cycler
08-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Boyds has a huge variety of them to fit many different models of rifles including most Savages. Look here:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-Gunstocks-Left-Hand-Stocks-s/144.htm

stash
08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks to all for your replies.

Stashu