PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10T at Cabelas

Pages : 1 [2] 3

chetc
11-15-2016, 01:13 AM
i have a 22-250 bvss and and 223 also in a BVSS, i have an extra lg bolt head around here. or i may take the pacnor off the 6BR.

chet

DenverDave
11-15-2016, 01:39 AM
i have a 22-250 bvss and and 223 also in a BVSS, i have an extra lg bolt head around here. or i may take the pacnor off the 6BR.

chet

Have you ever owned or used an AccuStock Savage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chetc
11-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Denner Dave

No i have not owned an accustock. If i go the 10T route it will be my first, on my savage 12fv in 223 from Cabelas has the B&C 2997, my 6BR has a stockade bench rest style with the 3" wide front forearm and my 6.5x284 has a home built stock, my B&C 2997 also has a 3" wide x 1/4" thk alum plate on the forearm section, i shoot them out of the same front rest with the 3" wide for bench rest type stocks
Chet

DenverDave
11-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Denner Dave

No i have not owned an accustock. If i go the 10T route it will be my first, on my savage 12fv in 223 from Cabelas has the B&C 2997, my 6BR has a stockade bench rest style with the 3" wide front forearm and my 6.5x284 has a home built stock, my B&C 2997 also has a 3" wide x 1/4" thk alum plate on the forearm section, i shoot them out of the same front rest with the 3" wide for bench rest type stocks
Chet

I strongly encourage you to handle the 10T in the AccuStock if you can. I would even suggest brining a scope in its rings to throw on the 10T at the store and try to look through it. I say try because as I mentioned earlier I could not get anywhere near a useable scope picture without using a cheek riser. This is a MAJOR design flaw. Not preference. Even with the cheek riser, I found the AccuStock still lacking the ergonomics I desired. For me, and other 10T shooters the AccuStock had to go. I replaced it with a XLR chassis system. With the necessary (in my opinion) stock upgrade the 10T goes from a $500-$600 rifle to a $1k + rifle. Sure it can be done cheaper but i would look at the 10T as more of buying a barreled action than a complete rifle.

Of course your mileage may vary. I rarely shoot off a bench preferring to shoot in the prone. A 10T with the addition of only a cheek riser (+$40) may be suitable for your applications.

Here comes the boo and hiss but if your looking for a $500 gun, in 6.5 Creedmoor that's ready to go out of the box I think the Ruger American Predator ($400) could be worth a look. I know the American's stock suffers from a low comb also but having shot one it's not as bad IMO as the AccuStock. The predator also has been criticized for having a flimsy stock. The AccuStock has a flimsy feel but is aluminum beaded. I have only shot a American once and am not an expert on the rifle so I am not saying that the Ruger is better than the 10T or that the 10T is better than the Ruger. My point is there are other options in 6.5 Creed, in the sub $600 price range that are worth exploring. Again, if you can, handle the guns, especially If your planning on keeping the factory stock. A common theme amount budget rifles seems to be that the factory stocks are junk. Easiest way to cut costs I guess.

If your willing to spend some money on upgrades the 10T is a great, but not perfect (bottom bolt release is a drawback) rifle. I love mine post modifications. However, if you want something that's good to go off the rack I suggest exploring your options and most importantly get a feel for the stock. Just my 2 cents.

chetc
11-15-2016, 08:58 PM
HI Denver Dave

cheek weld is not a problem for me, the bottom bolt release can be an issue later if i want to update the trigger (thats if I go the 10T route) and i have nothing against Ruger, I have had a few in my time, i love some of their handguns, but their rifles are out for me, i have yet to see them shoot near the accuracy of the Savage, i know there are flukes out there, but i will pass on the Ruger and newer 700 Rems, i had 3 Rems in the last 10 years, they just were not up to the accuracy that i was looking for. if i were to build a custom, the Rem 700 action a good one after it was totally accurized, $$$$,

Chet

Rondogg
11-15-2016, 09:26 PM
I see the Savage model 10T is on sale at Cabelas, for $499, looking for opinions here I am thinking of getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor, or I have a few 6BR and a 22-250 that I don't shoot much, I am thinking of either getting model 10T or buying an after market prefit barrel in 6.5CM.. is it a crapshoot on what route will be more accurate.

Chet
I also bought the 10T in 6.5. As others say the stock is useless. Maybe save the money and take a look at the Savage LRP in 6.5. I have heard, and seen them shoot very well. Take a look at Long Range Shooters Of Utah, and the 1000yd challenge. I sold mine and ordered the Savage LRP in 6.5 Good luck

RC20
11-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Dave,

I think the way around the bottom bolt release issue with another trigger is to get the top bolt release stock.

You may or may not get the magazine setup, could go with solid base and put the guts of a 12 in there or just fill it and single load.

Just thoughts, I don't have one, with the 1.5 lb trigger set that's been really good for me in the others.

Maybe not for a competition shooter

DenverDave
11-15-2016, 11:27 PM
Dave,

I think the way around the bottom bolt release issue with another trigger is to get the top bolt release stock.

You may or may not get the magazine setup, could go with solid base and put the guts of a 12 in there or just fill it and single load.

Just thoughts, I don't have one, with the 1.5 lb trigger set that's been really good for me in the others.

Maybe not for a competition shooter

My rifle is in a XLR chassis currently configured for BBR. The chassis and action both can be modified to use TBR set up enabling the use of those triggers but it's not a small undertaking from what I have been told. It requires quite a bit of grinding, some welding (I think) and the use of "other trigger parts" from what I have been told in a enquary about getting the SSS Comp trigger into a BBR mod 10.

The extent of my Gunsmithing skills is assembling an AR-15 (basically legos). I have also installed an APEX trigger and spring kit into a pistol (never again, major pain in my ass. I hate all those small parts) really simple tasks. as far as smith work goes I am a complete novice. Modify the Savage action, chassis and installing a trigger is way out of my depth.

I also live in an apartment with no shop and just a toolbox of hand tools to work with.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I am not desperate to replace my trigger anyway. If/when a two stage trigger for Savage comes out I would be motivated to make it work.

RC20
11-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Dave: I have a post someplace that the guy got the TBR Acu Triger sear, bent it a bit and fitted it into a stock with TBR just fine.

I am going down that path (have the stock, need the sear) so will let you know how it came out. Worst case I have to remove the receiver to get the bolt out but have hopes. I got a filled in bottom stock as I want rigidity.

I could do the receiver grind down as I have the tools, but prefer not to (I hate cheesy looking work and I would not be able to finish it up) and if it works and no mechanical issues I am good.

Pretty well setup for the fiddly stuff as needed. I have done a lot of that at work and some at home and a good shop (if I can get it cleaned up!)

side comment: My brother had no issue with the 6.5 Acu Stock bench shooting it. I was very impressed, enough to consider a burl in that caliber down the road to go on something current. I might even just buy the 10T on sale as its a heck of a bargain.

I would have to get another Gerard Tri Trimmer. True of my 7.5 Swiss project as well though.

At that point I have to wonder about getting the Gerard motorized unit as it just needs a low cost insert. hmmmm

I do like the Varming range acu trigger. It really suits me though I know not all like it. 1.5 lb for my bench shooting is just about right (at least for now)

RC20
11-18-2016, 08:49 PM
I just made the next step in this process.

Boyds stock came in, the barrles action is installed. OVerall very nice. I got the 1.5 lb spring for trhe acu trigger, ditto, nice per the previous (I got two this itme just in case!)

The Boyds was not a bull channel as ordered but ok as its a Varmint profile bareel is likely to see and I can still open up if needed (sides are very close, clear but not by much)

As expected the trigger gurad did not fit but I can swap between this one and a 111 I have until the new one gets in, no more than a few days.

All parts on acutrigger do clear and no functional issues. Just have to remove the receiver from the stock to get the bolt out (for now)

I have a top bolt release headed this way. then I get to find out if I can maniluplatge it to work or not. Worse case a bit of grinding and I have the tools to do that.
Prefer not to .

I filled in the internal magazine with block of wood, good for now. I single shoot anyway.

DenverDave
11-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Anyone re-barreled their 10T? I noticed that the 10T uses yet another uncommon part, the "smooth barrel nut" which requires the use of a different barrel nut wrench.
Looking for suggestions on:

1) Smooth Barrel Nut Wrench

2) upgraded recoil lug

3) upgraded barrel nut

bearcatrp
11-20-2016, 12:10 AM
you burned your barrel up already?

chetc
11-20-2016, 12:23 AM
well i decided on making the purchase of the Cabelas 10T, so far i did not shoot the gun other than clean clean and clean the barrel, i put a scope on it with the lowest rings, i dont care for how high the scope is mounted, anyone else feel the same issue, will break in the barrel and see if the scope height is going to be an issue, if it is i will be looking for lower mounts. or possibly machine about .140 off the bottom of the savage rail.

chet

RC20
11-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Anyone re-barreled their 10T? I noticed that the 10T uses yet another uncommon part, the "smooth barrel nut" which requires the use of a different barrel nut wrench.
Looking for suggestions on:

1) Smooth Barrel Nut Wrench

2) upgraded recoil lug

3) upgraded barrel nut

It is also the annoying bottom bolt release and somewhat limited on stock choices (at least in wood) as a result.

You can re-use the lug, nut you need a new one or a good used one.

DenverDave
11-20-2016, 07:10 PM
you burned your barrel up already?

No just curious. Found a good deal so I may pick one up for future use

RC20
11-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Grab it!

NSS for the nut and if you want the lug.

I am probably going to upgrade one more gun once I get it settled down to see if it makes any difference.

First one that I did I got both the nut and the lug and at times I am getting 4 shots into a single hole at 100.

That said the one without it also does that, 4 into 1/4 inch and a total of 5/8 with 5.

redman
11-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Just an opinion but the accustock isn't as bad as some have posted here. As far as factory stocks go it's one of the best. If you're going to buy a rifle and replace the stock a model 12 fv also on sale at cabelas might be a good choice. It has the low quality non accustock. They're like $380 I do believe.

bearcatrp
11-21-2016, 10:57 PM
I ordered a cadex chassis that was supposed to go on my 10T 308. The 6.5 creedmoor came out. I put the cadex chassis on the creedmoor. Was considering changing the 308 to but decided it works fine the way it is. To each there own I guess.

waynef
11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone ....

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I might join in this one.

I bought a Cabela's Savage 10T in 308 (great gun).

My question ... I was told that the Savage 10 FCP 10 round magazine would work with my 10T. The 10T has a 5 round detachable mag.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Thank you
Wayne

Evlshnngns
11-22-2016, 05:08 PM
I handled the 10t yesterday, I really like that bolt handle. Cool gun.