PDA

View Full Version : capability of stock 308 axis

bdiddlez
11-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Hey all I'm trying to decide if I should be buying a new rifle or put money into my axis. I hunt with it so I'd like to be getting 1-1.5moa at 500yrds
That is what I'd like. I can't shoot that well but that's my goal. Can a stock 308 axis do this if The shooter is decent.

First hand experience would be nice

floyman
11-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Mine shoots pretty well with a few upgrades. Best bet would be to upgrade stock, bed it, trigger, upgrade scope mounts and rings you would have a good shooter

upSLIDEdown
11-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Bedded in a Boyds stock, with an EGW base and an SWFA scope, I used to shoot out to 1k yards without issue. I then rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor a year later and have been shooting that gun ever since in PRS style matches and doing very well with it. I've been to 1570 yards with it as well. The 308 will do you just fine. The stock and bedding will help the most. Trigger job, scope base, and good glass. After those things, all the trigger time you can afford.

bdiddlez
11-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Ok cool since I already have the rifle with timney trigger I guess it makes sense to stick with what I have and toss in the occasional upgrade when I have some free cash?

Anyone compare using rockite to the boyds stock as far as performance?

floyman
11-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah better off throwing a couple dollars here and there. I did mine. It helped stiffen it up and helped with recoil. Which in return tightened the groups. I waiting to get a Boyd's still so I'm not sure how much better it would be

upSLIDEdown
11-11-2016, 02:39 AM
The timney will serve you well. I don't know on the rocktite because I went straight to the Boyds.

vet2260
11-12-2016, 06:50 AM
I had a Boyds but it made mine to heavy so I did a free float on the Stock and Rocktite and it is lighter and tighter than the Boyds was.. I also put a bull barrel on mine so its not exactly light but all that wood just made it to heavy to really be comfortable for mr..

MoToad
11-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Mine with upgrades improved dramatically. Timney first. That out of box trigger was a brute. Bedded. Rockite was quick and easy. And now finally upgraded from a Bushnell scope to a Vortex. Made all the difference.

bdiddlez
11-12-2016, 02:03 PM
did you have to do any prep with the rockite? and did you put any in the butt stock?
I was literally thinking of doing the exact same, rockite+bull barrel+bedding the action. What type of barrel did you get? Id like to do the swap on my own I have read it is not too difficult?

MoToad
11-13-2016, 01:52 AM
Rockite was easy peasy. Have the stock set up level. Dribble it into cross rib spaces filling to the top of the ribs. (still clear of the barrel) Partially filled the butt but it's not really necessary. Just evens the weight a bit. I did fully fill my Bmag butt and am finding it has really made it maybe too heavy. Am thinking of seeing if I can knock it out of there with a few hammer blows. But I can live with it.

vet2260
11-13-2016, 10:27 PM
No problem with prep just took a piece of sand paper and roughed the insides up a little and like MoToad says its really easy.. I got a BlackHoleWeaponry now Columbia River Arms bull barrel made in 416 Stainless it has a 1 in 11 twist at 22 inches long. Its not hard but make sure you have the barrel nut wrench and I made my own barrel vise out of 1x1 blocks.. Also make sure you have the head space gauges for the caliber your doing it with.. There are articles here on the website of you want to read up on it first.. :cool::cool: There are a lot of barrel companies out there so i would research which one to use and make your decision from there prices will vary with manufactures as with turn around times on order to delivery..I hope this helps you

jbrew44
11-14-2016, 07:48 AM
My Axis 308 with 20" threaded barrel shot 1" or less with my handloads. I did shoot it out to 600 yards with no problem. I have done two factory stocks with rockite. I do put some in the stock. It seems to help with flex at the grip area and it gives the rifle balance.

bdiddlez
11-14-2016, 09:45 AM
The one you shot to 600yrds was that with the factory rockite stock?
What size of groups where you getting?

jbrew44
11-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Yes factory stock with rockite and a Boyd's thumbhole. 178 amax with varget. .9 moa at 100 yds. Never measured at 600 but was getting my hits on steel. I have since put on a 243 barrel that I purchased on this forum. I have it back in the factory stock with rockite. Currently working on a load for it.

Tex45acp
11-21-2016, 09:40 PM
On my rifle I changed out the bases, rings and scope when I could literally pull the scope and rings off the bases. Like others have mentioned the bases on my Axis are flat on the ends of the bases where they should be pointed. I went with Leupold bases & rings. I added an almost new Nikon 4x12x40 800 BDC I had laying around that fit the bases perfectly. It took 7 rounds of 167gr. AMAX to get to center, but the last three grouped within .850" with two of them touching. This Axis 2 XP has far exceeded my expectations for an entry level rifle. Mine has the factory Boyd wood stock and free floated barrel. Not sure if I will be bedding the stock as I already have 2 other .308s that are hole in a hole shooters. I won the gun in a raffle and it will be my carry everywhere rifle.

s3silver
12-10-2016, 04:20 PM
I just got one about a month ago on a trade. It didn't come with a scope, so I threw a very old one (don't even know what brand) I had laying around on it. So far, have only gotten the chance to sight it in, around 10 shots so far. I did get a chance to shoot one (3) shot group at 110 yards. It was right at 1 inch. This was with my handloads for the LR308. Bone stock, shooting off the bench with bipod and rear bag. I'm very optimistic it will shoot less than moa as is once I do some load work up for it. If it does, I probably won't be changing anything on it. So far, pretty pleased with it.