PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a stock

pherrington11
11-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi guys and gals,
I just bought a new savage 16 with a detachable box mag and bottom bolt release, I shot it to break in the barrel I like the action and everything but I'm already sick of the factory stock. I was wondering what stock everyone suggest to get. I would like something with an adjustable cheek rest and an adjustable lop.
thanks
pherrington

The Coach
11-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Boyd's

Fotheringill
11-10-2016, 12:47 PM
I would agree, although not done it for this rifle. Boyd's is a well known stock provider and will stand by its products. I feel it is better to go with a large company rather than a smaller operation that may do the job poorly and/or not stand by its products.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2016, 07:20 PM
I'd just bed it and make a Karsten style adjustable cheek riser out of kydex along with a couple of elevator bolts, and some knobs from the hardware store.
JB weld to bed it is about 5-6$ and about 3-4$ for kiwi shoe polish to use as a release agent. I wouldn't worry about bedding it if it's an accustock.
To make an adjustable cheek riser, A couple of sheets of kydex about 11$, Elevator bolts and knobs about 7$. Plenty of how to articles and videos online but I'd watch several before starting. I have tried stock packs and stuff with sketchy results but the Karsten style stay put and are firm and solid.
As far as length of pull, if you want to shorten it then cut it down and re install the butt pad, free if you own a saw. If you want it longer add a good slip on recoil pad which is about 25$. The bear tooth slip on neoprene recoil pad comes with different length spacers if being able to have different LOPs is desired. I have a couple of the Beartooth pads and like them a lot better than the rubber ones that can turn gooey over time. I have one on a .300RUM and they will really soak up the recoil.

These are the routes I'd consider first but I'm a cheap old curmudgeon and love to tinker with what I've got to fit my tastes rather than spending cash on someone elses stuff.

Here's one I shortened to 12 3/8" length of pull and added a home made adjustable cheek riser to.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/Carbine/e1e37a21-8c36-450d-983e-f299cdec3e1e_zps58a82883.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/Carbine/e1e37a21-8c36-450d-983e-f299cdec3e1e_zps58a82883.jpg.html)

pherrington11
11-13-2016, 07:42 AM
I was also looking for something to soak up the recoil a bit. I'm a pretty small person think 110 soaking wet shooting a 7mm-08 i know kids shoot this round. Also i need to get my hand out of the way of the bolt have half a pointer finger and the bolt slams into it pretty uncomfortable.

mattri
11-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Stockade stocks out of NE, have used them on a few builds and couldn't be happier with their quality.

DV8EDD
11-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Hey all, another new guy here and I joined to be a part of this very topic because I have the same problem! I'm also curious for opinions and more pics and value what you all have to say. I have a savage 111 in .270 and I can't stand the stock. It feels cheap and the rifle doesn't sit on me well - feels tiny and hollow. I'm large at 6'4".

Been looking at B&C Sporter or maybe the Boyd's Prairie Hunter or Pro Varmint. Seems weird to spend B&C money on a rifle that was pretty darn cheap.