PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed hunting build?

Pages : 1 [2]

Hersh5317
11-20-2016, 10:16 AM
If I were going subsonic hunting, I would definitely go with a big bore for anything other than small game (as hinted at by my 44 Rem Mag remark). Personally, I would go with the .338 Fed or 458 Socom from your list. Start by looking at compatible suppressors though. It would be no good to go 458 and not be able to get a can rated for it within whatever budget you have set. You could also look at the 338 Whisper. The smaller case may make it easier to go subsonic.

gbflyer
11-21-2016, 09:47 AM
A real good way to go is with a TC Encore frame. A 16" barrel is legal and makes for a very short package. A .458 Socom and a Bowers can would be a sweet rig.

handirifle
02-17-2019, 07:23 PM
I bet there are thousands of bison and hogs and deer that never took hours to die when hit with big heavy and, by some standards, slow bullets from the 45-70 through 45-100's that cleared plains of plains game a century ago. Nor would Vince Lupo agree on their ineffectiveness.

Having said that, I would not use the above mentioned rounds for deer either. If you put a 1/2" hole through both lungs, no animal is going to live for hours. A few minutes, maybe, but a lot of big game have run a long way with high powered 30 cal bullets that have zipped through them too. They are live creatures and sometimes they die easily, sometimes not.

Have seen hogs run a hundred yards after being shot with a 308 and seen em die in 20feet shot by an arrow. I killed a 400lb boar with my 55lb recurve, and single bevel broadhead. He barely made it 15yds. Fell three times getting there.

Blood loss kills, so the more you create, the faster they die. With a suppressor use a caliber that will get it done. 750ftlbs is not much energy. You want the bullet to go all the way through, on heavy slow rounds.

Sled
02-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Chalk it up to Al Capone and John Dillenger and the Tommy gun of the gangster Era

Or prohibiton just like the drug war of today has militarized our police force
I blame Hollywood and the dreaded hitman's suppressed revolver.....