PDA

View Full Version : Savage 114 Classic hinged floorplate conversion

moabxjeeper
11-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Hey all, I've got a Savage 14/114 American Classic 7mm Rem Mag I bought a few years ago and absolutely love. It's been a great rifle and I couldn't be happier, all except for one thing - the box magazine. I was out deer hunting this year and fired a shot and had the magazine fall out straight to the ground. Luckily the deer was dead, but that whole event has stuck in my head vividly since that day.

I know I can fix the issue with the magazine falling out, but in all honesty, even before the aforementioned incident, I was never a huge fan of the set up. Before I bought my Savage I hunted with a Winchester Model 70 that had the floorplate and personal preference drives me to wanting that again.

So that leads to my current dilemma - What can I do to convert the box magazine setup to a hinged floorplate? I've done some research on the internet recently but haven't come up with much. I was hoping one of you fine folks might point me in the right direction.

Robinhood
11-08-2016, 02:10 PM
There are at least a couple of versions of the bottom metal inlet. That applies to the magazine as well. Without seeing your inlet and or top side of your bottom metal it is hard to give concrete advice. At least for me.

I would purchase the hinged floor plate and see if it will fit. You will need to use the mag box from your current setup.

You may have to modify the inlet or the bottom metal, you may not. You may need to add a 1/4 flat washer to position the mag box correctly. You may not.