PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on older Savage 110 in .243

BrushyHillGuide
11-08-2016, 12:51 AM
I just acquired this older Savage 110 in .243. It's in almost immaculate shape and I'd be surprised if it's had 50 rounds down the tube. There isn't a single spot of rust anywhere and the barrel looks, essentially, new. I'm hoping to find out a little about the rifle - particularly, I'd like to know (about) when it was made? Serial number is "F019_ _ _"

The scope is a weaver K6 60-BI scope with super fine crosshairs. Was this a package deal - the scope and rifle - or did a previous owner put the 2 together?

I'd like to put a better trigger in it and have it for the wife and kids to hunt with but I'd like to know more about it before I go trying to swap the trigger.

Can anyone give me some info about this rifle??

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161108/3de4776ea940adada95d7bf4948cb69a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero333
11-08-2016, 06:58 AM
I like the non-accutriggers. They're simple and easy to sand & polish down to 2.5 lbs.
I've installed a couple of Timney triggers and they're nice too, but have to be careful not to set them below 2 lbs, bad things can happen.

It's a good looking rifle, congrats on the find.

Otherwise i have no knowledge about older Savages.

Fla_dogman
11-08-2016, 10:29 AM
You might check but it should have an adjustable trigger. Mine is a great shooter I'm sure you'll love it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

BrushyHillGuide
11-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Just called Savage and they said it was manufactured in September of 1989. That's all the info they had - couldn't even tell me whether that Weaver scope was part of a package.

Can anyone tell me about this rifle? Does it have an adjustable trigger? Not sure when I'll have time to take it apart. I'm pretty busy at the ranch right now.

When I looked online for a value on some 'blue book for guns' I couldn't find a plain old model 110 - they all had some letter following the 110. However, the barrel stamp doesn't show any letter. Savage was NO help here. They said the company was sold around that time and they have no records of the rifle and that they only have an approximate manuf date of Sept 1989. Sure could use some info from y'all Savage experts.

BrushyHillGuide
11-08-2016, 12:27 PM
I like the non-accutriggers. They're simple and easy to sand & polish down to 2.5 lbs.
I've installed a couple of Timney triggers and they're nice too, but have to be careful not to set them below 2 lbs, bad things can happen.

It's a good looking rifle, congrats on the find.

Otherwise i have no knowledge about older Savages.

What kind of "bad things" happen below 2#? Timney claims they go down to 1.5#. I don't have any plans to go below 2.5 but I'm curious.

Fla_dogman
11-08-2016, 12:50 PM
If you remove the two screws underneath the stock and trigger guard, the whole barrel and action pulls up and out. From the bottom look at the trigger group and if you see 2 screws, one in front the other on the bottom then it's adjustable. I think there's a YouTube video on how to adjust it.

Fla_dogman
11-08-2016, 01:01 PM
If I remember correctly, the adjustment nuts have a lock nut on them

Zero333
11-09-2016, 05:44 PM
What kind of "bad things" happen below 2#? Timney claims they go down to 1.5#. I don't have any plans to go below 2.5 but I'm curious.

Bumping the butt of the stock to see if the sear holds is not a real world test.

Under 2 lbs, if you take a plastic hammer or a piece of 2x4 and hit the side of the stock with it around where the trigger is, the sear will slip and the trigger will fire. This is a real world simulation of what would happen if the rifle had a round in the chamber and was dropped on the ground and hit a hard surface.

I test them another way. By slapping the bolt down to it's close position. If I can slap it closed (hard and fast) 10 times and the trigger doesn't skip the sear, then it's safe.

Thus far no timney trigger passed either of those 2 tests when set under 2 lbs. One can never be to careful when it comes to safety.

olddav
11-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Here is some info on a three screw trigger.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

The only thing I would add is you can replace the wire spring to achive a 2#ish trigger.
Oh and one more thing BE CAREFULL!

swamphonkey
11-10-2016, 10:00 AM
I have that same rifle. Mine hasn't looked that good in 20 years. I got one in 270 and 243. I wouldn't go to low on the trigger. 3 lbs min for a hunting rifle for me. This is what I KNOW about that little evil 243. With mine I have never lost a deer. I can shoot them in the eye at 100 yards leaning on a tree. I have never had any failure of any kind. It will shoot Anything I put in it under 1-1/5" most under a 1". The 243 is sweet the 270 is a cheek bruiser. I've probably killed 80-100 deer with my 243. I paid 250$ and some change a piece for mine from the hardware store June 1990(I remember because stuff was bad in the sandbox and my buddy's wanted to hunt hogs before they went over and I had some rifles stole by a punk and needed a pair. Those savages are the ones that made me a true believer in Savage products. And wish I could find one that nice myself.