PDA

View Full Version : Timney Trigger Install/Review

hereinaz
11-07-2016, 07:52 PM
I just installed a Timney trigger in my 110. All I have to say is it was simple and I have an awesome hunting trigger. Bounced it off the ground hard, no accidental discharge.

The factory trigger had the coil spring on the back. The change to Timney was of course a major improvement because of adjustable sear engagement. I had a three screw trigger available, but it required the side straight wire spring and this action used the coil spring as I said.

I've adjusted sear engagement on old three screw Savage triggers on actions. They each were adjusted to pretty much the same feel as my Timney trigger. But, the Timney still feels a little cleaner. I wouldn't swap an old three screw Savage trigger for a Timney.

But, the three screw triggers were all more difficult to fine tune than the Timney. Of course, the common factor for the two triggers is the screw that adjusts sear engagement. They both adjust out creep.

The Timney also adjusts pull weight so much easier, with a greater range. There wasn't as much good adjustment with the factory coil spring on the original trigger. And, the trigger pull weight in any Savage trigger with the straight spring is never as finely adjustable as the Timney was.

I would never replace an accutrigger with a Timney.

olddav
11-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Glad it work for you! If you don't want that three screw trigger I have an address I can send you. :)

hereinaz
11-07-2016, 08:14 PM
It's going to stay in my Savage grab bag of parts... it's one of those things that is worth more than I could sell it on the Savage Black Market.

LOL

olddav
11-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Yep, that's what I would do, but I had to try.

hereinaz
11-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Yep, that's what I would do, but I had to try.
Yep, they are as good as a Timney, and the 3 screw spare I have, I bought off ebay, whole trigger assembly and sear for like 40 bucks...

FW Conch
11-07-2016, 09:31 PM
What is the pull weight on Your Timney trigger install?

hereinaz
11-07-2016, 10:35 PM
What is the pull weight on Your Timney trigger install?
Don't have the technology... maybe I'll stop by a friends. But, it is somewhere between a yawn and a sneeze. Not as much as a cough. LOL

I didn't care before, but now I'm curious...

hereinaz
02-19-2017, 01:41 AM
Finally bought a scale to test my triggers. Its a luggage type scale. Haven't tested it against a known weight yet.

My Timney trigger tested at 1.5 pounds and my stock M&P AR 15 with GI trigger was at 5.3 pounds, so it is in the ballpark. I am going to get around to testing my accutriggers and three screw triggers and see what they say. I also want to build a better puller/hook, because the scale is just at a little bit of an angle.

Zero333
02-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Bouncing the butt of the stock on the ground is not the best way to test if the sear holds.

Best way is to slap the bolt closed, fast. Or take a rubber or plastic of wooden hammer and hit the the side of the stock right around where the sear is.

I have a Timney on one of my rifles. It's nice, but I can only get it down to 1.75 lbs before it becomes unsafe in my opinion.

hereinaz
02-19-2017, 12:05 PM
I will try those as well. It does fine on the bench.

Robinhood
02-19-2017, 12:27 PM
The most unsafe thing that can happen is for a blunt force to be applied to the underside of the stock. The will cause the trigger to pull away from the sear. A bump on the underside and as 0333 said, rapid bolt cycling. That is the test.