PDA

View Full Version : 110FP 300 Win Mag Boring Build

Hoss50
11-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I live in AZ where shots can be at all kinds of ranges, and I am working on building a Savage to be my "medium range" big game rifle. I have a 257 Weatherby that shoots great and has been my go to rifle for years, but I need something that has a little more reach out and touch something for things like Elk. I am starting with a baseline of a 110FP in 300 Win Mag that is/was my fathers. He doesn't hunt anymore due to a bad back so it has been sitting in the safe for years. My dad bought the rifle on clearance many moons ago for a smoking price. We shot it some, but not a lot. The little we shot it we knew it was a shooter. Its first 5 shots with Remington 180gr corelokt it put under a quarter at 100yards.

I would never shoot the rifle now because of the recoil. I am a big dude and recoil didn't bother me when I was younger and dumber, but I am not interesting in taking a beating when I go to the range anymore. That said I dropped the rifle at a gunsmith and had a 5 port slabbed muzzle brake installed. It turned out really well, and I got my first opportunity to shoot it yesterday at the range. WOW!!! Talk about taming the beast. It was not uncomfortable to shoot at all anymore. The smith did a great job with a black cerakote on the brake that matches very well and makes the rifle look even cooler with that fat barrel and monster brake. Mine is the fat barrel on the bottom.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p87/Hoss50/Muzzle%20Brake_zpsucns6n2b.jpg

My dad didn't have a great piece of glass on the rifle, and that is still in the works. For the short term (this week) I put a Redfield revolution 3x9x40 on the gun that I had just taken off another rifle. I like the Redfields a lot for good budget scopes that work well on normal rifles. I took the rifle to the range yesterday with the Redfield on it and some reloads and got it on paper. It did REALLY well, but I quickly realized how much better this rifle is than the Redfield. I need a much better piece of glass for this rifle and that is in the works. I have a line on a Vortex Viper 6x24x50 FFP HSLR that I am going to pull the trigger on, and I have already ordered a set of Talley lightweight rings for the rifle.

My dad had a gunsmith clean up the trigger and pillar bed the action supposedly many years ago, but I am going to confirm that still.

I will update as I do more.

Harley

mattri
11-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Looks great, a buddy in WY shoots a 300 wm and it sounds a little like yours, nothing too fancy but shoots lights out and drops elk like a hammer.

Hoss50
11-09-2016, 02:15 AM
That is my goal. Hammer deer and elk at longer ranges if necessary.

I ordered a Vortex Viper 6x24x50 FFP HSLR scope today. It will be last minute but I hope to get it together for my elk hunt in a few weeks...

Harley

Hoss50
11-26-2016, 01:27 AM
I am not going to get the new scope on before my hunt next week so I am rocking the redfield for now. The rifle is shooting really well and my load for the 208gr ELDM bullets is coming together. The load with the 210gr Berger HVLD is showing promise too. Hopefully we will have some luck next weekend and we will be able to put some meat in the freezer.

I added a Tourbon cheek rest and ammo holder which has been a nice addition.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2016/post-592-0-41088700-1480102630.jpg

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2016/post-592-0-98236100-1480102660.jpg

mattri
11-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Good shooting!