PDA

View Full Version : California legal?

duhast
08-07-2010, 12:24 AM
is the 10 round magazine for the Acme Universal magazine conversion California legal?

scamp62
08-07-2010, 12:41 AM
10 round !….. sounds good

scamp62
08-07-2010, 12:44 AM
P.S. I’m in So,Cal and just installed mine in a 10FCP-K and it looks and fits great !!!!

duhast
08-07-2010, 01:04 AM
I was concerned because of their note "holds 11".

I'm a Savage noob, with a new 11 FCNS. I get that CDI (?) makes a product, and there's the new Acme, and something called the SSS conversion, but isn't it SSS who makes the Acme? And what's with the single/double stack stuff? What is my new rifle?

scamp62
08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
You have to force it pal !!!
And I personal can’t quite get it in there !!
ya ‘ SSS make both the mag conversion, and the new Acme unit. The mag conversion is just a added box to the bottom for your factory box mag, The Acme unit is a very well done conversion (bottom metal & mag) unit, it fits like it was factory (Savage) made
I have seen the CDI unit and, all I can say is “GET THE ACME UNIT”
If you get one to take the 11 round, I would just remove the bottom plate, and add a ¼” peace of wood into the bottom of the mag, then you are legal !!!

thehouseproduct
08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
More difficult than adding wood to the bottom would be making the bolt action gun semi automatic. You can use 250 round mags in your non semi auto rifles.

knight_dive
08-07-2010, 05:45 PM
More difficult than adding wood to the bottom would be making the bolt action gun semi automatic. You can use 250 round mags in your non semi auto rifles.

you can use them, but you can't buy them.

Ernest
08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I've yet to witness, or even hear a range story of the Magazine Gestapo patrolling around ranges checking magazine capacity. ::)

5shot
08-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Since it isn't a Semi-Auto Magazine, why not? Does California have a restriction on bolt action magazines? I thought it was just for Semi's.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I think there's a restriction of 5 rounds in a "hunting situation" but not sure.
I know you can't hunt with a M1A unless it has a 5 round mag. As far as range work, I don't think there's any restrictions.

knight_dive
08-08-2010, 04:23 AM

Since it isn't a Semi-Auto Magazine, why not? Does California have a restriction on bolt action magazines? I thought it was just for Semi's.

You can't legally buy, import, or manufacture magazines with greater than 10 round capacity in California (with exceptions for law enforcement through authorized dealers) regardless of what the magazine is intended for. That's why Alpha Industries (makers of the new AICS compatible Morta mags) will not consider making a larger than 10 round magazine. Even if they intended to only sell them out of state they would still be liable for manufacturing them in California.

However if you owned 10+ capacity magazines prior to the CA ban in 2000, you can legally own and use them. Additionally, the burden of proof that you purchased the mags post ban is on law enforcement, and as alluded to above, I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted or arrested because they possessed or used those magazines. I know a handful of people in law enforcement, and the universal answer is that they have too many other things to worry about to care about magazines. On the downside, if you do manage to be the test case, or you get arrested for something else (legitimately or otherwise) and the prosecutor decides to tack on charges for the magazines, its pretty tough to claim you had them prior to 2000 if they were only developed and released a couple years ago.

ETA: OP, I wouldn't be concerned about the Acme mags here, unless it were easy to load to 11. If it really makes you nervous you can probably add a small piece to the bottom of the follower to ensure it won't get past 10.

Fjold
08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I think there's a restriction of 5 rounds in a "hunting situation" but not sure.
I know you can't hunt with a M1A unless it has a 5 round mag. As far as range work, I don't think there's any restrictions.

There are no magazine capacity limits for hunting with rifles in California, just shotguns.