PDA

View Full Version : My first Savage rifle build.HELP!

Pages : 1 [2]

wbm
11-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Tough crowd! LOL!

For sure! When I first saw the OP I said to myself. "Seriously!?"

FW Conch
11-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Smitty,I knew You would get some positive advise in time if You were a little patient, and pappy83 has come through. If Savage is putting it out in the 375 Ruger, what is so unrealistic about a necked down 30/375 Ruger?

We have already been informed the Savage 338 Lapua is "unsafe and should not exist"!

Perhaps the 375 Ruger is supposed to fall into this catigory also?

By the way, is scope eye (Dean) still alive? ;-))

I would like to end this post with a short prayer.

Dear Lord: Please call Me home long before I slip into "cantankerous gezzery" :-((

olddav
11-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Dear Lord: Please call Me home long before I slip into "cantankerous gezzery" :-((

Amen brother, but I fear I am doomed to fail!

RC20
11-06-2016, 02:07 PM
I have already failed though mostly I keep it under control.

Smithy78: I hope you can see that you came and are coming across as someone no one would want to be next to on the firing range.

Wildcats are fine, I am going to build a bit of an oddity one of these days as well (not a wildcat) . They can also have serious downsides.

Your goal seems to be to stuff as much powder in a case as you possibly can. From someone who has that much reloading experience is truly scary.

You then can't seem to find standard reloading data in your manul(s).

We are happy to help, the caveat is the person we are helping has to come across as something you have not.

So I will continue to be ornery and grumpy unless a more sane approach is listed.

RC20
11-06-2016, 02:14 PM
WOW. U guys are something else!!!
Ok to the first guy, I didn't say that this was my first rifle build. I said this was my first SAVAGE rifle build I already have a lapua. I want a 30 caliber.I have been handloading my own ammo since I was sixteen. Never had an accident or what did you say blew up a rifle. HAVE YOU? And I can very my primer, powder and charge weight to dial in my accuracy. I have no intention of building a rifle that holds 4 rounds but only load one at a time.
Thanks for all of your helpful information.

I guess I am the first guy, so no I have never had a rifle blow up. I was on the range when one did. While the neglect was not the shooters (shop employee sighting in a gun for a client) I did get the dubious privilege of seeing a mouth blowing blood as well as an adjacent shooter with a cheek (could have been an eye for both people) that was bruised over the whole surface and perforated by the side shrapnel.

The shooter lost 5 teeth and undergoing extensive surgery to put his mouth back in order. It could have been worse but it was plenty ugly enough for me.

Not sure what 4 rounds has to do with anything, its the one round in the chamber that does the damage.

olddav
11-06-2016, 03:26 PM
We are happy to help, the caveat is the person we are helping has to come across as something you have not.

Speaking for myself, Not one of he "We". Would love to hear how it you choose to approach this build.

Zero333
11-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Took some rough measurements on one of my 300winmag mod 111 actions.

Ejection port = 3.75"ish
Factory magazine = 3.495" max coal, max 3 crtgs.
Bottom action opening = 3.75"ish

If you get a AICS compatible bottom metal and aics 300winmag mags, The max coal should increase a little. But can't say how much since i don't have one.

Smitty78
11-06-2016, 06:08 PM
I just wanted to clarify a little bit about the cartridge I plan on using. 30/375 ruger is just about the same capacity as a 300 weatherby. Depending on the brass I guess. It is virtually identical to the brand new.30 Nosler but brass is 300% cheaper. I decided to go with this cartridge because I got 200 pieces of brand new 375 ruger brass for 50$ he bought the gun and then found out about recoil I guess. I already have a.338. I have zero use for a .375. 7mm would be to overbore. So 30 caliber it is. Hornady even produced dies for it for a while. Called it the HSM. 4 D has the reamer for it. I want the mag length because 230 grain berger bullets are long. The farther out I can seat them the better. Its not all about how much powder will fit. I can buy an ultra mag or 30/378 wby and hold all the powder I can afford. I want the mag length for powder and to be able to very seating depth. Nothing unusual about it. Military just got a contract for a new sniper round called the 300 Norma magnum. Maybe couple of you guys have heard of it. For the rest of you google it. Pretty similar to what I want. Ruger will have a little less case capacity. And I won't need the monster magnum bolt. By the way thanks for directing me to the faq who ever did it. Answered a lot of my questions. Anyway thanks to all. I will try to keep my death trap guns and practices out of the counies you guys are shooting in. Hey you will all probably read about me blowing my face off before long according to the responses I have got. Bye Bye. KMA.

RC20
11-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Speaking for myself, Not one of he "We". Would love to hear how it you choose to approach this build.

My apologies and was wrong to do so

Thumper76
11-06-2016, 09:18 PM
I love how people jump to conclusions about a guy, that no one really knows anything about, and run him out. I thought we were all supposed to stick together and educate one another, not crap all over someone's idea without knowing all the details..

Robinhood
11-07-2016, 12:46 AM
I love how people jump to conclusions about a guy, that no one really knows anything about, and run him out. I thought we were all supposed to stick together and educate one another, not crap all over someone's idea without knowing all the details..Yep. And add nothing to the conversation but cynicism.

FW Conch
11-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Deplorable conduct :-((

RC20
11-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Hmmm, yes we are here to help people.

To me that comes with a caveat. My family has always been willing to help others, but they have to make an effort as well.

Are they sincere?, have they made any effort, ? how do they come across. ?

I continue to have problems with someone who has invested all that he says he did in his rifles and looking for a cheap solution.

Not being able to trust gun smiths when going with a wildcat that is not readily available and the work does require some knowledge of gun assembly, head space and what needed for reliability.

Of course all are free to disagree, this one frankly leaves me unsettled and will refrain. If that makes me deplorable, so be it.

bowfishn
11-26-2016, 12:23 AM
Wow, I just joined this forum and this was the first thread I read after doing a search on a build of my own. Some of you are a piece of work, Smitty78's build was well within reason and before any of you did your own research into what he wanted to do or maybe give him the advice he was looking for, you just had to insult him and try to pick a fight. That's why I like to do most of my discussions with people face to face and not hiding behind my keyboard.
I usually do not respond to threads like these but some of the comments really got under my skin, by the way Gunsmithing is not Rocket Science.
Oh yeah I almost forgot, Hello to everyone from a new member from the 14th State admitted to the Union.