PDA

View Full Version : Axis II .308 steel scope rails not cut correctly!

pache11
11-04-2016, 11:24 PM
My scope almost came loose from my rifle when I fired it for the first time. The mount was tight and the scope was nowhere near zeroed.

When I returned home I closely inspected the scope and it pulled loose from the rail even though it was tight. The rail sides do not come to an edge and the scope rings could not grip the rails due to the large vertical flat surface on the side of the rails. I called savage and two sets of rails were shipped. The steel rails had the same proble and the other is a set of aluminum rails that have the correct profile.

Robinhood
11-05-2016, 10:10 AM
The rings may be of poor design as well. Who makes the rings?

pache11
11-05-2016, 03:21 PM
The rings and scope came with the axis II

celltech
11-16-2016, 03:05 PM
One of my Axis' had a rail with the screws tightened by a mouse...but it would hold a mount. None of them have been zeroed for squat. I just put 1 piece Talley mounts on all of them and throw the garbage out.

MoToad
11-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Send it back

Tex45acp
11-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Good Morning Everyone.....New member here.
I recently won an Axis 2 XP with the Boyds factory wood stock in .308. I had a similar problem. Took mine to the range to sight it in and the scope & rings fell off the bases on the first shot downrange. I had noticed they were a bit loose when first checking the rifle out of the box. I tightened the rings to the bases that also had the flat spots where there should have been a point. I left the range and went by my local gun shop and picked up a new set of Leopold bases that fit the Axis. I had a brand new Nikon 4x12x40 800BDC given to me for my birthday with a new set of Leopold rings. I have mounted them both on the rifle and will be heading back out to the range at my gun club this week. I am anxious to see how well this entry level rifle shoots & groups.