PDA

View Full Version : Decisions.

jraney
11-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Hey folks I've got a few questions. First here is what I have. I have a Stevens 200 short action. I want to build one of two calibers. I would like a good synthetic stock preferably a varmint style stock with the vertical grip. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I would like to get the stock for under $200. Any suggestions. As for the caliber. 6.5 creedmore or 7mm08. Just for deer out to maybe 400 yds. Anything further would just be target shooting or coyote hunting. Let me know yalls thoughts.

big honkin jeep
11-04-2016, 05:47 PM
I recently picked up a Choate tactical stock for a long action. I mounted it up to a 110FP. It was $198.97 on the nose with free shipping.
I like it a lot so far and the functionality has been great but on that 110 FP it was a lot of black in one place, so I did a sponge camo job on it.

As far as choosing caliber I'm not a fan of the 7-08. It doesn't do anything better than a .308 at any practical range and costs a good bit more to run with less available components.
It recoils just as hard on the shoulder, it's just as loud, the naked eye can barely tell em apart, and their aint a hill of beans worth of difference except in the wallet.

Robinhood
11-04-2016, 06:05 PM
I recently picked up a Choate tactical stock for a long action. I mounted it up to a 110FP. It was $198.97 on the nose with free shipping.
I like it a lot so far and the functionality has been great but on that 110 FP it was a lot of black in one place, so I did a sponge camo job on it.

As far as choosing caliber I'm not a fan of the 7-08. It doesn't do anything better than a .308 at any practical range and costs a good bit more to run with less available components.
It recoils just as hard on the shoulder, it's just as loud, the naked eye can barely tell em apart, and their aint a hill of beans worth of difference except in the wallet.

Hmmm!?

Hersh5317
11-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Between the two calibers, the MPBR is similar enough to call it a wash (factory hunting ammo). The difference will really be more apparent if you handload. Both have great bullet selection, but the 7mm-08 will be easier to find or make brass for (.308, .243, .260, etc. sized up or down). You could form the 6.5, but you have to bump the shoulder back IIRC. If I am wrong, it won't be the first or last time. The 7 will carry more energy, the 6.5 will penetrate better in theory with the same bullet weights. In all practicality, there really is not much of a difference in the two except factory ammo availability because the Creedmoor is the hot thing right now. Deer won't be able to tell the difference. I had a 7mm-08 that tough times forced me to sell. Sometimes I wish I still had it. It is also selling well now as a lot of people are using it for the youngins and recoil sensitive shooters that want more power at target than the .243.

I can't help a lot with stocks, but the Choates are heavy if you plan to hump it around much. I had an Ultra Varmint on a .308 varmint contour barrel. It was close to a 12#rifle after a moderate 4-12x scope. I only used it to kill paper and steel. Do you have a stock now? Are you comfortable modifying one? Take the issued plastic handle, some fiberglass resign and strips, and make a custom one fit for you. It has been done. I prefer wood and laminate stocks for hunting rifles in most circumstances.

jraney
11-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. I do have the factory stock and have modified one already but it is still flimsy. I know a good stock with aluminum bedding block isn't cheap. I just want as much as I can get for as little money as possible.

big honkin jeep
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM
The Choate tactical is about 3.5 #. That's not exactly a featherweight, but it's not nearly as heavy as the other Choate options. The ultimate varminter or the ultimate sniper with their steel buttplate spacers could double as battleship anchors LOL.

jraney
11-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Ok. Laminate or synthetic. ? Same design just different material.

FiveInADime
11-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Ok. Laminate or synthetic. ? Same design just different material.
Get a Boyds Pro Varmint in walnut. It'll be lighter than laminate, stable, and will look awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FW Conch
11-07-2016, 06:38 PM
I would suggest You go with the 6.5 Creedmore. It is the hot item right now. The case is short enough You should never have to worry about magazine length in a short action Savage. And the 30dg shoulder is easy on brass. I'm a big fan of 6.5mm pills. And if You decide to sell it, You should have no problem.

You should be able to get a stock You like from Boyd's for less than $200, that is light enough to deer hunt with.

WeldNFool
11-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Boyd's are the only one's I've seen that were under $200.

jraney
11-08-2016, 10:42 PM
I found a cheates and a Boyd's that look the same. The Coates is anywhere from 199-229 and has a full length aluminum bedding block. The Boyd's laminate looks identical but without the bedding block. For 129.

big honkin jeep
11-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Maybe I'm just enamored with my new Choate, but the Choate tactical would be my choice.
The one I bought seems to be very well made and durable and is a huge improvement for my 110FP which has limited choices anyway.
I would definitely buy another if the need arose.