PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: New member with Model 64 FVXP

Yoshi
08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Hello from Annapolis MD!!!

Just got a Model 64FVXP. Picked over the 10/22 Target, because I am leaning towards Savage for all my rifles. Already have the Model 10 Precision Carbine (.308) and ordered the Mark II TR.

So, there doesn't seem to be too many reviews of the 64FVXP. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Yoshi

stevec
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I have looked at them and will prolly have to have one in the next week or so.

Did you read the review on the home page?
http://www.savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Model 64FV-XP Review

Steve

Cycler
08-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I have looked at them and will prolly have to have one in the next week or so.

Did you read the review on the home page?
http://www.savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Model 64FV-XP Review

Steve

The OP is a basic member and won't be able to use the link to get to the review article. They are limited to paid members.

rustynut
11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I guess there aren't many folks buying these great little inexpensive rifles. I bought one about a year ago from Buds, thinking it would have the accutrigger (it didn't). I purchased it for my grandson and his friends to refine their shooting skills, without costing a fortune in ammo. It has not disappointed us at all. After about 100 rounds the trigger seems to be smooth and crisp. We installed a 3-9X40 scope on it and sighted it in at 6X. Most of the kids can keep it in the black at 50 yards and easily in scoring range at 100 yards. I bought three more extra mags for it and a boresnake, so we can let two or three of them take turns, engage in a little friendly competition. It loves the cheap coated Federal ammo from Walmart, so about 500 rds+ for less than $20.

I am looking for a custom thumbhole stock for it or even a Monte Carlo type stock like our Marlin has. I prefer the Marlin tube feed for single plinking, since you get 14 rds, but the clip style mag of the Savage is very handy for keeping up with multple shooters.

With heavy barrel, it shoots very tight groups, even with a warm barrel, doesn't kick at all and has less report than standard .22s. At a little over $200, it is a great buy on a very accurate and reliable, quality rifle. I highly recommend it for a first rifle experience.

Smokey262
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
It loves the cheap coated Federal ammo from Walmart

Hard to not like a cheap date :)

stevec
11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I bought one for my son, so I could reclaim my marlin...... I ended up keeping the savage an he kept the marlin ;)

It likes the cheap stuff also.

Steve